We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental drop off near Beaujolais or Lyon

Which Lyon hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
108 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental drop off near Beaujolais or Lyon

I'm flying into GVA, planning on taking a train to Lyon (staying for 2 nights), and then renting a car to see Beaujolais for a day (staying in Bagnols). My next destination is Lausanne in Switzerland. To drop off the car in Switzerland is really expensive, but it's also really expensive to drop it off in Geneva airport on the French side (it costs about $300 to rent a car for more than a day from Lyon to GVA and also around $300 for 3 days from GVA swiss side and drop of fin Lausanne -- price includes taxes for a mini). Is there another train station near Beaujolais or Lyon that I can drop off the car (I'd prefer not to go back into the city of Lyon because of city traffic)? If not, should I just do the rental from Switzerland and drive to Lyon since it costs the same?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,424 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental drop off near Beaujolais or Lyon

Macon TGV gare

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
108 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental drop off near Beaujolais or Lyon

Thanks! I can see that there's a train from Macon to Geneva available. Is the traffic not so bad in Macon, including the around the train station in Macon? Macon seems to be a little further away from Bagnols than Lyon, but it might be worth the drive up there if it's less of a hassle than Lyon.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental drop off near Beaujolais or Lyon

Macon is a much smaller town than Lyon plus the TGV gare is out of town in a very quiet spot.

4. Re: Car rental drop off near Beaujolais or Lyon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 April 2014, 06:16