We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

shortlist of hotels : would like to hear thoughts/opinions.

Which Lyon hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
India
Level Contributor
94 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
shortlist of hotels : would like to hear thoughts/opinions.

hello everyone!

we will be in lyon in first week november for 10 days. my husband and I would be coming here after spending a week in annecy. (from Lyon, we would be going on to brussels, then to amsterdam and fly back.) i would greatly appreciate comments/opinions on my hotel shortlist.

hotel des celestins

grand hotel des terreaux

globe et cecil

we are in our forties, love arts, design and architecture. and enjoy seeing the world at our pace. do not look for very luxurious places to stay. cental location and ease of using public transportation is important. we prefer not to be in touristy-heart of the city, but close enough for easy walks to sights. budget would be under $175.

from Lyon,we also plan to take daytrips by train ( still researching in the forum archives and else where on places to see in the region around lyon). so perhaps be closer to train station?(although not right near station).

i would really appreciate your opinion/thoughts on these hotels... and of course, other recommendations are most welcome!!!

thank you

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
3,726 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: shortlist of hotels : would like to hear thoughts/opinions.

These 3 hotels all have an excellent central location. I wouldn't stay in Part Dieu neighborhood if I were you: you'll get easily to the train station for your day trips and it is far better to stay in a nice neighborhood in the middle of everything.

Globe et Cecil used to be worn out, and some rooms are tiny. Although the lobby and many rooms have been recently renovated, this hotel still has mixed reviews as you can see.

So may be you should make your choice between Célestins and Terreaux.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
23 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: shortlist of hotels : would like to hear thoughts/opinions.

Hotel Celestins would be my first choice, but being in Lyon for 10 days why don't you consider renting an apartment. The cost of the rental would be less than the hotel per night. Go to airbnb.com or vrbo.com and check some out. Live like a resident, go to fresh markes, bakeries, etc.

India
Level Contributor
94 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: shortlist of hotels : would like to hear thoughts/opinions.

Thank you very much, only-lyon.:

After hearing from you, I am considering just these two - Celestine or Grand hotel des Terreaux.

Both of these are in Presqu'ile area, as far as I understand. This is not part dieu vicinity, right?

Also, are these well located to use public transport within the city (I presume that we would be walking to many sites since this is the historic center. However, I am sure we would also need to use public transport).

And thank you, redvic1P: I am just checking out the hotel you recommended. Renting an apartment does make sense. However, we prefer hotels as our travel dates sometimes change drastically due to our work pressures, and in my experience, hotels offer more flexibility in this regard. The day we retire, it will be apartments for sure!

Again thank you so very much for your knowledgeable input.

India
Level Contributor
94 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: shortlist of hotels : would like to hear thoughts/opinions.

to redvic1p - sorry..just realised.. you have endorsed celestin.. not recommended a new hotel!!

so celestin becomes a stronger contender!! thanks

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
3,726 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: shortlist of hotels : would like to hear thoughts/opinions.

Anywhere in the Presqu'île will be easy access to public transportation. You'll walk almost everywhere but probably take the métro to get to Part-Dieu train station for your day trips.

I only referred to Part-Dieu as you wondered at first if being close to the train station would be a good option: to me the answer is definitely no.

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
937 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: shortlist of hotels : would like to hear thoughts/opinions.

You indeed won't be needing much the public transport within Lyon while staying at the Celestins. But should you need it, there are two metro lines passing near your hotel and dozens of bus lines in the near vicinity. Major line C5 for instance will bring you directly from the Bellecour square to the main entrance of Lyon's biggest park - De la Tete d'Or.

India
Level Contributor
94 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: shortlist of hotels : would like to hear thoughts/opinions.

hello!

and thank you only-lyon...darth_feanor...

your input really helped in making an informed decision.

merci beaucoup a vous !!

8. Re: shortlist of hotels : would like to hear thoughts/opinions.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 June 2014, 07:18