We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

getting from geneva airport to lyon

India
Level Contributor
94 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
getting from geneva airport to lyon

hi everyone!

my husband and i are travelling to lyon next week.( and apologies for this last minute question! but our dates had to change drastically and instead of coming to lyon from annecy, now we would be coming straight from geneva. so am looking for the easiest way for transportation). hence, the following:

(1) as i understand, we take a train from geneva airport to geneva cornavin station. then we can take TER train to lyon, which will bring us to part dieu station in lyon. (not considering TGV as TER supposedly takes the same amount of time and is less expensive.). have i got this right?

(2) also, is there any other way.. perhaps catching a bus/shuttle from airport itself? we would have luggage as we are on a long trip and i am concerned about getting on trains twice!! i have

checked with some shuttle companies, but it seems most operate for ski destinations.

would really appreciate your help.

and, before we embark upon this long awaited trip, i would like to thank everyone here.. for their generous help.. truly grateful for it.

a big thank you!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,505 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: getting from geneva airport to lyon

1. That is correct.

2. I do not know of any other way of getting from Geneva to Lyon. There are very few inter-city bus services in France.

India
Level Contributor
94 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: getting from geneva airport to lyon

thank you so much, sidneynick! great help from you, yet again! (your advice has always really helped in my previous travels to italy and south of france. my husband keeps going back to your train booking guide and blesses you everytime !! )

about geneva airport, i was wondering if you know whether it is easy access to the airport-train-terminal. also, is geneva cornavin station very large/difficult to navigate? and lastly, do we buy the tickets for the journey to lyon from airport itself?

once again, really grateful for your learned opinions.. thank you..

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,505 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: getting from geneva airport to lyon

I have not used either station, but a minute with Google brings up an airport map showing that the train station is adjacent to the main terminal. Cornavin is a major station, so I cannot think that it would be difficult to get around.

You can buy tickets to Lyon at the airport.

Perpignan, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Perpignan
Level Contributor
7,306 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: getting from geneva airport to lyon

I have used both stations. The airport station is underground but there are escalators. Turn left when you exit the airport and follow the signage. You can buy your ticket from a machine in the hall. Cornavin station does not have elevators. You'll have to walk down a flgiht of stairs to the main hall, look for the departure platform for France (indicated on blue panels) and walk up again to track level.

India
Level Contributor
94 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: getting from geneva airport to lyon

Hello! And thank you.. That's really helpful.

I was also checking on getting a car with driver, which can pick us up from Geneva airport and take us to lyon. It's a way more expensive option... But i would go for it if I know that we would get to see more of the beautiful mountains and countryside by going by road. Would you know if this drive is scenic?

Look forward to your thoughts..

And thank you..

Perpignan, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Perpignan
Level Contributor
7,306 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: getting from geneva airport to lyon

A taxi to Lyon will cost you an arm and a leg and you won't see more from a cab window than from a train. You don't say when you are travelling, days are short in winter.. To save you some trouble, you could take a taxi from the airport to Cornavin station.

India
Level Contributor
94 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: getting from geneva airport to lyon

hi!

you are right. car turns out to be much more expensive.. but it's really really tempting to go that way!!! i am going to let my husband decide now!!

thank you so much for your help.. deeply appreciate it

8. Re: getting from geneva airport to lyon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 November 2014, 05:21