We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Geneva to Lyon

Singapore, Singapore
12 posts
Save Topic
Train from Geneva to Lyon

Hi

I wish to know if I could buy train tickets from the Cornavin Train Station, Geneva for my trip to Lyon in December, 2013. BesidesTGV, are there other trains that ply this route?

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,238 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Geneva to Lyon

All trains on this route are run by the French railways. So far as I can see, they are all TGV-Lyria trains.

You have left it much too late to get the best prices. Tickets go on sale 3 months before travel, and the cheapest tickets often sell out quickly. Book now with en.voyages-sncf.com/en

Paris, France
Level Contributor
2,709 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Geneva to Lyon

There are also direct TER (local regional trains) that also do this trip, not taking much longer than TGV/Lyria trains. Their prices don't vary with time, and for walk-up purchases are a lot cheaper.

Singapore, Singapore
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Geneva to Lyon

Sydneynick, do I wait for the tickets to come in the mail if I buy online from en.voyages-sncf.com/en?

dg2006, do I get the TER tickets from the Cornavin Train station? Am I able to view the schedules online?

Thanks so much.

Perpignan, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Perpignan
Level Contributor
7,306 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Geneva to Lyon

There is no reservation for TER (local trains) and you can buy your ticket at Cornavin station up to the last minute. A TER ticket costs € 26.70 while a TGV ticket costs €46. Since it is such a short journey netween Geneva and Lyon, it is not worth the expense of taking the TGV.

Timetable for local trains : www.sncf.com

Edited: 19 November 2013, 14:46
Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
1,062 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Geneva to Lyon

Timetable for the TER trains till mid December.

…ter-sncf.com/Images/Rhone_Alpes/Tridion/03a…

6. Re: Train from Geneva to Lyon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 November 2014, 05:18