We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lyon and surroundings late Oct/early Nov?

Which Lyon hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
1,855 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Lyon and surroundings late Oct/early Nov?

Hi Lyon TA!

I'm planning on visiting Lyon around the last week of October for about a week. I'm 38yo, fairly active and looking forward to getting in day trips, a lot of walking and a lot of culture around (yes, the usual "touristy" things). I'm planning on splitting the week between sightseeing in Lyon and doing a few day trips - Vienne, Annecy, etc. I will be using only public transport and my foot!

I'll get back to this forum with questions, but before I even plan further, is Oct a good time to visit? I know I'd have missed out on say, the wine harvest, etc. but is the timeframe good otherwise.

Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
1,855 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lyon and surroundings late Oct/early Nov?

Just to add some context on what my question is - there are some cities like London, Paris, etc. which are ok all 12 months of the year because of the cultural sights (sure, weather makes a diff but not too much). There are some places though, like say a Napa Valley in California which is kind of boring if one goes after the wine harvest. So along those lines are these places pretty enough and enough non-weather/climate dependent things for me to see if I visit late Oct?

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
987 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lyon and surroundings late Oct/early Nov?

Lyon is not as big as Paris or London, but there are a lot of things you can do even if it rains - museums, churches, Les Halles food market, traboules etc). End of October last two years was warm and sunny, but generally the weather this time of season is unpredictable. Annecy is more weather-dependant, but you'll definitely have a couple of sunny days to make this trip in optimal conditions.

Montelimar, France
Level Contributor
1,195 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Lyon and surroundings late Oct/early Nov?

I would also recommend Chambéry,the historical capital of Savoy.

chambery-tourism.com/1657-chambery-tourisme-…

Bear in mind the end of the daylight saving time.

Su: 26. October 2014, 3:00 -> 2:00

Sunset ,around 05:30 pm,will be 1 hour earlier on 26 oct 2014 than the day before .

Sunrise around 7 am

Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
1,855 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lyon and surroundings late Oct/early Nov?

Thanks guys!! This is really helpful and you're all so responsive.

So back to my point then, do you think I'd have enough to fit in for a week's day (6-7 days)? How does this look -

3 days of sightseeing in Lyon

3 days of Day trips - Annecy, Vienne and _____ ?

Is there enough to see in Lyon for 3 days? To be clear, I do love the history and cultural museums but not a big fan of wandering around parks, and I don't care much for the decorative arts and clothes kinds of museums.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
110 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lyon and surroundings late Oct/early Nov?

My wife and I are headed to Lyon for a few days in October. She is our travel planner and does a wonderful job of it. A few things she has lined up for us:

Wine tastings with "From Vine to Wine". http://www.fromvinetowinelyon.com/

-- my wife is working to set up some private tastings or to do some dining and tastings together.

Cooking Classes with "Plum Lyon". http://www.plumlyon.com/

-- a great way to learn about Lyon's amazing food.

Touring the world famous Lyon murals. …lyon-france.com/Guided-Tours-Excursions/Not…

Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
1,855 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lyon and surroundings late Oct/early Nov?

Thanks Terry! The reason I'm being so picky about where I go is, being an Indian citizen, I need to apply for a Schengen visa beforehand and they typically require us to show booking confirmations of hotels, air tickets, etc. so would like to zero in on where I go so it makes everything easier.

Montelimar, France
Level Contributor
1,195 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Lyon and surroundings late Oct/early Nov?

A day trip to Pérouges ,maybe?

http://www.perouges.org/perouges-en-images

…ter-sncf.com/Images/Rhone_Alpes/Tridion/35_…

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
987 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lyon and surroundings late Oct/early Nov?

I second Perouges and you can combine a day trip there with a visit of Bourg-en-Bresse, which has a nice historic centre and beautiful Royal Monastery of Brou. There is another beautiful village not far from Lyon called Oingt, but I'm afraid it's not possible to get there by the means of public transportation.

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
26 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lyon and surroundings late Oct/early Nov?

Agreed, Perouges is fantastic once there its only a few hours if you add in a lunch but well worth the trip! However to get here I imagine the hiring of a car would be advisable, if hiring a car, then could take in, if interested a bike ride along the Val de Rhona, bike rides along the River Rhone, around Morestel, Lhuis etc. there are some great eateries along this route also a lovely restaurant in Glandieu, which is opposite a natural waterfall - lovely food and a reasonable price situated 670 Rue de la Cascade, 01300 Saint-Benoît, France

Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
1,855 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lyon and surroundings late Oct/early Nov?

Great tips, thanks folks!