We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking to stay in the center?

California
Level Contributor
1,198 posts
Save Topic
Parking to stay in the center?

For a 1-week trip, the plan is to visit the area around Arles and Avignon for a couple of days and then drive up to Lyon, staying in Lyon for 3 nights before flying back to the US.

I realize that a car is a disadvantage in a big city but for the western Provence towns I wanted to visit, it's necessary.

I could I guess return the car and take the train up or maybe drive up but return the car before checking into a hotel, which would ideally be located on the Presqu'île.

But with 3 nights (2 and a half full days), I was also thinking of day trips, possibly to Beaune and other points of interest.

This would be my first visit to Lyon. Maybe not worth keeping the car for 3 days just for maybe one day of day trip and driving to the airport?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,046 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking to stay in the center?

We stayed at the Ibis Styles Lyon Part Dieu, which is not very central but has passable transport links. The parking under the hotel costs E25 per day for casuals or E12.50 for hotel guests. This may help you make your decision.

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
3,768 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking to stay in the center?

There are many public parking facilities in the Presqu'ile too, here is the price list:

lpa.fr/lpa/…20LPA_Tarifs.pdf

A few hotels offer private parking options, so you should ask for prices if you consider for example: hotel Royal, hotel La Résidence, hotel du Collège,...

California
Level Contributor
1,198 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking to stay in the center?

Thanks, I've decided I'll return the car before coming to Lyon, probably take the TGV from Avignon.

I don't know if it will be easy to take my luggage on the trams, buses and metros from Part Dieu to Hotel Royal where I made a reservation. Looks like either taking the tram and switching to Metro A line or taking Metro B to switch to Metro A.

I'll be arriving some time between 12 and 15:00 on a Wednesday in mid September so hopefully it'll be good for taking a couple of suitcases through the system.

I may order the Lyon City Card and they seem to indicate they'll mail it to the U.S. so I'd use it as soon as I arrive at Part-Dieu and use the transport pass.

4. Re: Parking to stay in the center?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 July 2015, 06:16