We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Route planning Fussen to Black Forest

Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Route planning Fussen to Black Forest

I am planning trip from Fussen (seeing Neuschwanstein Castle and Hohenschwangau ) then leaving that day in my rented car for the Black forest.

I have a couple of questions:

1 - How long is the touring of the castles going to take? I know the tours are only 45 minutes each but I heard there are long walks involved. Would it be possible to get through both castles in abot 5 hours without feeling rushed?

2 - Can anyone recommend a route for approx days of travel from Fussen through Stuttgart? We are interested in doing things like wine tasting, staying in a castle and horseback riding.

I found a thread on a good route a couple of days ago but I can't seem to find it now.

I will continue to search for the original thread in hte mean time.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
15,143 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Route planning Fussen to Black Forest

I think that it is possible to tour the palaces in three hours. Do Neuschwanstein first when it first opens as it takes the longest to get to and is uphill, then the next Hohenschwangau tour an hour later after that tour has ended.

Some nice things between Fuessen and the Black Forest:

Lindau and Meersburg (the loveliest town on the lake with Germany's oldest castle)

The gorge of the Danube River through the Schwaebische Alb with its nice cliffside scenery, old castle ruins, and Beuren monastery

The fortress ruins of Hohentwiel by Singen considered to be Germany's largest castle ruins

After the Black Forest:

The old college town of Tuebingen

The excelllently preserved medieval Bebenhausen monastery just north of it

The two fairytale-like castles Hohenzollern (Hechingen) and Lichtenstein

Hohenneuffen, the largest castle ruins of the Schwaebische Alb with a very good restaurant with nice views over the countryside

For Stuttgart:

The Mercedes Benz and Porsche museums

Wilhelma, Europe's largest combination zoo-botanical garden set amidst the nice Moorish architecture of this former palace

The mineral baths, in the Leuze one you can swim in bubbly carbonated water

The world's first modern TV tower with its views over the countryside

Germany's largst perfctly preserved Baroque palace in Ludwigsburg with the tourable rooms of the king, queen and dukes; extensive gardens; four excellent museums; two associated smaller palaces set in a deer park; and a porcellan manufacturer

Esslingen with its well preserved medieval center with the church that has a wooden covered bridge connecting the two spires

Any of the towns at the ends of the 6 S-bahn lines are worth a visit of a few hours except Plochingen. Marbach hone of the poet Schiller, Weil der Stadt home of the astronomer Keppler, Schorndorf home of the builder of th first car Gottlieb Daimler, etc.

Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Route planning Fussen to Black Forest

Thanks for the info. Any suggestions on where to actually go in the Black Forest? Is there 2 days worth of activities there or is it mainly the surrounding area that has more to see?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
15,143 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Route planning Fussen to Black Forest

As I don't particularly care about visiting the Black Forest I'm not a good person to answer questions about it, but there is weeks' worth of interesting things to see and do as the mountain range is fairly large. Titisee, the waterfall at Triberg,Gengenbach, Freiburg, and Baden Baden are popular tourist spots, but there is a whole lot more.

If you purchase map #16 from a gas station of Shell's Die Shell Regional Karte series of large scale maps of Germany it will cover most of the Black Forest except the northernmost part, all of the Bodensee (Lake Constance, nearby parts of Alsace, France and northernmost Switzerland, the Danube gorge, Tuebingen, and the western part of the Schwaebische Alb. ALL rural roads will be shown, interesting churches, palaces, monasteries, castles, towns, vista points, caves, waterfalls, scenic rivers and valleys, etc. to visit. The better places to visit that are cultural are highlighted in yellow and the scenic places in green, with the best having a box around them. You can spend months visiting places shown on any of their maps, and some non-highlighted places can also be excellent to visit.

Another thing, between Fuessen and the Bodensee, the magnificent Baroque church at the monastery at Ottoburen is not too much out of your way. Forget the Wieskirche.

There is so much to see and do in Germany that it's difficult knowing how much you have missed.

Freiburg im...
Level Contributor
2,708 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Route planning Fussen to Black Forest

>Any suggestions on where to actually go in the Black Forest? <

Titisee is well situated for most of the tourist spots in the high black forest:

>wine tasting, staying in a castle and horseback riding<

There are not as many castles up in the black forest and barely castle hotels:

Hornberg castle between Triberg and Offenburg:

Bühlerhöhe at the black forest high-road, near Baden-Baden:

Horseback riding is provided in many places, best will be to ask the local tourist board or the respective hotel desk.

For wine tasting you have to go down to the Rhine Valley between Offenburg and Baden-Baden:

In Durbach you can combine horseback riding and wine tasting and it is also a good starting point for trips to the black forest:

Medieval Gengenbach is another nice place in the Baden wine-growing region:

5. Re: Route planning Fussen to Black Forest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2009, 07:19
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor