We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 weeks in Germany - what to see??

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
223 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
2 weeks in Germany - what to see??

I am planning a trip for this fall (late October) to Germany. I have been to Munich a few times before and do not plan to do Munich again. A friend currently lives in Frankfurt so I will spend at least a few days in Frankfurt - maybe more if I can use that as a base to do some side trips. Just trying to get suggestions for a possible itinerary. I'd like to be able to travel only by train/bus - I don't want to have to rent a car. I like to be very active and enjoy walking/hiking a lot. I love seeing historical sites and castles/fortresses and such. I think Berlin is probably a must-see, but not sure how many days to spend there.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! And yes, I know late October is not the ideal time to go, but it is the only time I can take vacation from work.

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,793 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 weeks in Germany - what to see??

As you can not see it all, I like to build in itinerary around an theme. This spring we are taking our kids through Munich to see the medieval cities of Franken (Würzburg, Rothenburg, Nürnberg and Regensburg) and Salzburg. We intend to travel by train.

Next year my wife and I are thinking about the Rhine/Mosel Valleys with all their castles and Baden-Württemberg, starting from Frankfurt.

Into the future, I see Berlin, Potsdam, Dresden, etc. as a possibility.

Rick Steve's site is not a bad start, though it is fairly limited in scope:

ricksteves.com/plan/…germ_menu.htm

I really like the Michelin Green Guide, using the maps at the front to geographically group sights. I also like the Eyewitness Guide as a pictorial appetizer.

Germany is a pedestrian friendly country as you probably already noticed in Munich, you will find ample opportunities for sightseeing on foot wherever you go. If you dress for it, October is a great time to visit.

Regards, Gary

Prittlbach, Germany
Level Contributor
574 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 weeks in Germany - what to see??

From Frankfurt the rhine river valley is easy to get to (also as day trips), you can use train and boat for transportation and there are lots of castles and vineyards for the hiking bit. There' some information about a scenic hiking trail along the Rhine here (but there are many more trails, of course)

http://www.rheinsteig.de/index.php?id=1&L=1

Frankfurt-Berlin makes an easy train ride, there's looots to do there (even if the weather is no good), and you can get a fair share of walking there, too. 4-5 days in Berlin is certainly worthwhile, a trip to Potsdam is also excellent. I don't think you'll run out of things to do.

Agree that late october is not so bad, esp. for the rhine valley, it will be much quieter than in summer.

Mauritius
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 weeks in Germany - what to see??

Having just spent a week in Berlin, I would thoroughly recommend it! I would recommend exploring the different parks & platz's throughout the city. Each has it's own character. The flea markets can also be fun. There are loads of really interesting museums & historical sights and of course because it is a large city it is easy to find places that are not so touristy as well.

As with others who have replied to you, I can also recommend Potsdam, an easy day trip from Berlin. It too has lovely parks to lose yourself in. If you like shopping then it will keep you busy as well.

Do you have a sweet tooth? Then the chocolate shop "in’t Veld Schokoladen" on Winterfeldtstrasse 45 is to die for, some really unusual varieties as well!

I stayed in a lovely Bed and Breakfast in Berlin in a quiet area just a few minutes by U-Bahn from the city centre. It was fantastic as I could see all the sights and go out for the nightlife if I wanted, but then when I needed to sleep, I could. (I have stayed on main streets in large cities before.... never again!). The owner Andreas is very helpful and knowledgable about the local area and would be able to give you even more hints about what to do. You can contact him through the website: www.berliner-bed-and-breakfast.de He speaks excellent English.

Cheers

Washington state
Level Contributor
683 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 weeks in Germany - what to see??

A few years ago we flew into Frankfurt then did a loop through northern Bavaria (Bamberg area and then the

Romantic Road of Rothenburg/Dinkelsbuhl/et al), to the Black Forest and back. Our favorite part of the trip was the area just east of Frankfurt, particularly Bamberg. It's just a gloriously beautiful city (and we usually don't take to cities easily), but doesn't seem to be on the radar screen of most Americans. So even though it's tourist-worthy it didn't seem very touristy. Maybe it was just coincidence, but we heard no native English speakers there for the 3 to 4 days of our stay, which was a great way to start the trip because my daughter wanted to practice her German.

We also really enjoyed a day trip to the north to Coburg and its huge castle. And we really wanted to stop in Wurzburg on the way to Bamberg as well--it's an easy distance there from Frankfurt--but decided not to spread out our stay in too many places.

Only downside in Bamberg was that I didn't like the favorite local brew--rauchbier--that I had heard about beforehand. So I had to stick with the "regular" German lagers :-)

5. Re: 2 weeks in Germany - what to see??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2009, 12:19