We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wearing Shorts

Minneapolis...
4 posts
Save Topic
Wearing Shorts

Thank you all for your help with other questions. I just read in my Fodors that they don't wear shorts in Germany. Is this true? Men? Women? Teenage boys? What do they wear? Day? Night? Also to teenagers wear athletic shoes?

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,868 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wearing Shorts

> I just read in my Fodors that they don't wear shorts in Germany. Is this true?

No, it isn't. Where do this nonsense come from? I assume the guy who wrote for Fodors arrived on a rather cool day and didn't observe shorts.

People above 18 mostly wear shorts on very informal occasions (walking the dog, shopping for groceries) and/or if it is really hot.

Not to a theater or restaurant a level above a döner kebab stand.

>Also to teenagers wear athletic shoes?

The bulky, ugly ones? Yes, although they seem to slowly go out of style. But please don't if you are not a teenager.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,430 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wearing Shorts

Does this not mean that they don't all run around in the stereotypical leather "lederhosen" just like us Scots don't wear kilts all the time. I don't think they have anything against ordinary shorts.

New York
Level Contributor
238 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wearing Shorts

I just returned from Germany last week and wore shorts quite a bit and noticed at times I was definately in the minority. I prefer to travel and tour in shorts even on cooler days as I find it a lot more comfortable. The weather we had was in the mid 60's most days probably reaching into the 70's on a couple. Most men had on jeans or some other long pants. I was a little concious of it at times but never fealt out of place. It's just my preference and if I went back I wouldn't do anything different. Wear what makes you comfortable, nobody else cares, unless your in a nicer restaurant or at a more formal show/event. Enjoy your trip!

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,793 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wearing Shorts

I was in Bavaria in June. It was fairly hot and humid. I wore shorts and many Germans did as well. They often wore long, baggy shorts, sometimes of a slightly dressier variety, but still shorts.

I wore them whenever it was not raining, including going out to eat at restaurants in the evening. If anyone was scandalized, they hid it well.

My wife, daughter and son wore tennis shoes. I prefer Rockports and sandals, like anyone noticed in either case.

I believe that how you act counts for much more than what you wear. Learn a bit of language, especially bitte and danke, and smile at folks. It will get you through, often with flying colors.

I really like Fodor's board but there are a few pretty uptight folks regarding how fellow Americans should look in Europe. You will have to decide how seriously to take them.

Regards, Gary

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,792 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wearing Shorts

After living for three years in Germany, my observations are that almost all Germans will wear longer shorts, but not short ones, which outside of athletics, will probably mark you as a foreign tourist. Wear what you like, in most instances it doesn't really matter. As to athletic shoes, they are commonly worn by anyone.

The only thing that you really need to be aware of is that days can be quite cool and also that it typically cools considerably at night so have something warm to wear, and rain is likely so also come prepared for it.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,911 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wearing Shorts

My experience has been (ten years in Europe) that men and kids wear longer, well-tailored shorts.

Women do not wear shorts.

Women wear capris/clam diggers/pedal pushers, split skirts/gauchos, or traditional skirts -- short or long.

I have found that the golf skorts are a great option -- smartly tailored and flattering, but the hidden shorts mean I can scramble over rocks, sit on the grass for a picnic, and generally do anything I want to keep up with my husband and son. Most of the golf skorts are also made of the new microfiber materials -- soft, comfortable, fit extremely well, and wick moisture away from your body so you never feel sticky. They also can be handwashed and will dry in a flash.

The microfiber fabrics are also now being used for men's shorts, trousers, and golf shirts -- they are truly a far better option to clammy wet cotton!

7. Re: Wearing Shorts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 06:20