We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

never been to germany

2 posts
Save Topic
never been to germany

going to germany soon. will be in the st peter ording area. i do not speak german and never been over seas before. what should i be concerned about this trip.

Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
39,371 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: never been to germany

> i do not speak german

As long you can speak English ...

And I mean here not the language spoken in Texas ;-)

You'll be able to get around with English. Just keep in mind that not everybody speaks English. The ones dealing with tourists speak usually English more or less. Otherwise: younger people (e.g students) have normally better English than older people (which had generally fewer years English in school and this a long time ago).

And in school people learn English - i.e. the language of England. With a broad Texan accent you'll have your problems.

> what should i be concerned about this trip.

Nothing really to be concerned about.

Maybe have a look e.g. into the overview on Germany of Tripadvisor

Lompoc, California
Level Contributor
354 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: never been to germany

Concur with Abalada. You can also go to the left side of this page, click on "Germany Overview", then "Inside Germany" and explore the topics. If you may be driving or taking public transport, I suggest that you go to "Brian's Guide to Getting Around Germany" at gettingaroundgermany.home.att.net/verkehr.htm

It's a great site for general information.

As abalada stated, many, many Germans speak very good english. The Germans are, in general, extremely nice people, especially if you include "bitte" (please) and "danke" "thanks" in your conversation. If fyou stand for a couple of seconds at a parking meter, ticket machine, or sidewalk looking confused, someone is sure to ask you, in english, if you need help.

Things to be concerned about:

Never pass on the right,

Never ever make a right turn at a red light

As a pedestrian, never walk against the "Do Not Walk" light-- elderly german grandmothers will use you as an example of bad citizenship for their grandkids.

Best place to get Euros is normally at an ATM machine-- may want to pick up a couple hundred at the airport currency exchange.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
37,061 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: never been to germany

Don't get your money from a currency exchange desk unless you just happen to enjoy giving people large sums of money for a lousy exchange rate.

make sure you learn to say Please (Bitte; pronounced bittuh) and Thank you (Danke; pronounced Dahnkuh -- NOT Donkey!) For extra brownie points, learn "Sprechen sie englisch?" (shprecken zee english) -- That's asking if they speak English -- in German.

When speaking English, speak slowly and clearly, and minimize your accent (If you have one -- not everyone does!) Do NOT speak louder -- that's just insulting.

2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: never been to germany

thank you for you help. points well taken.

Level Contributor
1,907 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: never been to germany

My German friends do comment that they like the way I slow down my speech. It doesn't have to be slow motion but just be aware of it...I have to work at it the first few days. When I get home everyone wants to know why am I talking so slow! Most of the people I have met are very polite and have good manners....my friend cuts everything with a knife and fork..never picks up and eats with his hands...the younger people do more so. I made a mexican meal for a treat...you should have seen them eat tacos with the fork and knife!

6. Re: never been to germany

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2009, 04:19
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor