We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To Munich for Octoberfest via Salzburg

Yorkshire, England
Level Contributor
243 posts
1 review
Save Topic
To Munich for Octoberfest via Salzburg

We plan to come to Munich Octoberfest from Englandthis year. The nearest airport flying from the north of England for easyjet flights would be into Salzburg. Does anyone have any suggestions for a few days in Salzburg area then travel to Munuch for the Festival and then take the train via Paris and Eurostar home. It would be a bit of an expedition but is it doable in about 10 days?

Thanks

Frankfurt am Main
Level Contributor
39 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: To Munich for Octoberfest via Salzburg

Should be doable in 10 days. If you can, avoid staying in a hotel in Munich for Oktoberfest as the prices charged then are steep.

The Salzburg area has plenty to offer. The nearby Berchtesgadener Land is host to some of the nicest hiking trails in Europe. A boat ride on the Königssee is a must and I'd highly recommend taking a tour of the salt mines (which includes a lot of state-of-the-art technologies). Also, the former Nazi headquarters Eagle's Nest is said to be an eye-opener. Bad Reihenhall has a world-class spa, the Rupertus Therme. Definitely take a day to see Salzburg with the Residenz, the Getreidegasse and the towering castle. Best cafe is Tomaselli, a coffee culture to behold.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
207 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: To Munich for Octoberfest via Salzburg

Salzburg is one of my favorite places ever. It is gorgeous! I would spend at least a night here - more if you want to take day trips like to Bertchesgaden or Hallstatt. My husband and I are planning a trip to Europe this Sept and Salzburg is on our list! It is so close to Munich that you should have no problem getting there and other places in 10 days.

Byen
Level Contributor
574 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: To Munich for Octoberfest via Salzburg

In Salzburg, don't miss the Augustiner Bräustübl, a wonderful Biergarten with the best Bier in the world!

http://www.augustinerbier.at

Florida
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: To Munich for Octoberfest via Salzburg

Take the train to Garmisch-PartenKirchen, it is my favorite town. Lots to see and do. We love the Gorge

walk, next to the Olympic ski stadium, not to be missed. PartenKirchen has great places to eat and is more of the older part of town. You can catch a bus to Oberammergau and Ettal. There are the castles and churches but I just love sitting in front of the Alte Post and having coffee. The road from Ettal to Oberammergau there is a wood carver's shop on the road and his prices were the BEST!! I bought the nicest nut crackers from him, great gifts. Munich is a short train ride to Octoberfest. We are going next year and staying down in Garmisch but taking the train in and out everytime we go. Much cheaper for us.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,362 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: To Munich for Octoberfest via Salzburg

Salzburg is one of my favorite places in Europe. The old town has a lovely ambience, and its simply a nice blend of culture with excellent outdoor scenery sitting on the doorstep of the German and Austrian Alps. The ice caves at Werfen to the south make an unforgettable experience and Werfen has a nice castle; as previously mentioned, the Koenigssee for a boat ride; the salt mine is accessable from either the German or Austrian side; the bishop's water garden is fun, where he played tricks on his guests with water; and on the way to Munich is Ludwig II's version of Versailles, Herrenchiemsee, on an island in the Chiemsee. You can easily spend a week in and around Salzburg (I have) and still have a lot of excellent things you've missed.

If you don't have hotel reservations for Oktoberfest, it's also possible to stay in Salzburg and take the regional trains into Munich using the Bavaria train day ticket which is valid to and from Salzburg for 27€ for a group of 2-5 people. There are a few restrictions, such as no travel before 9AM on weekdays.

Stuttgart ( http://www.stuttgart-tourist.de ) has the world's second largest beer festival the Cannstatter Volksfest ( www.cannstatter-volksfest.de ) and is on the way to Paris from Munich, and has a lot of other things to offer.

6. Re: To Munich for Octoberfest via Salzburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2009, 10:17