We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help with planning from Berlin to Munich

CA
Level Contributor
46 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Need help with planning from Berlin to Munich

Hello,

We're (4 adults)planning to visit Berlin for 3 days in Berlin and 3 days in Munich - Please help with

1) What to see in each place - Historic, castles, main attractions

2) How do I get from Berlin to Munich, should we rent a car, should we take a night train or should we fly?

--- If you suggest we drive, is it easy to drive there, (we're fr US) and is there interesting sight seeing on the way to Munich. We wouldn't mind driving if it's a easy drive & things to see on the way.

--- If you suggest we fly, which airline should we book ?

--- If you suggest we take a night train, how do we do it because I read the trip advisor and I'm confused over the 2nd class and did not see where the place to request for bed.

3) Where should I stay, please tell me the city name to stay that easy to get to the center of main attractions and safe

I read on tripadvisor, some people suggested that we should not drive. My question is why? is it because it cost more to park or there is no place to park in the city? I'm thinking that we'll rent a car, pickup fr Berlin airport (TXL) drive to our hotel (don't have it yet) if anywhere close to the hotel we'll take public transportation if it's too hard to park or drive, if we'll travel/visit far fr the big city then we'll drive (depends where you're suggesting). We'll drive fr Berlin to Munich & do the samething then return car at Munich airport (MUC).

Thank so much & hope to hear from you all soon

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
5,723 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help with planning from Berlin to Munich

If you are already planning on visiting these cities, you must have your reasons why, like what you wanted to see there. Do you not have your list of Must Sees?

Driving - I would NOT plan on driving in the cities. Parking is horrible, traffic is horrible, and you will waste precious vacation time in traffic jams and looking for a place to park. Gas is expensive here too. About $6.00 a gallon. Using public transportation is cheap and easy. Driving between Berlin and Munich is a possibility and there are hundreds of towns to stop at on the way. Please get a map out and take a look. All of them are worth seeing.

We cannot tell you where to stay. We have no idea of your budget or tastes. Use a hotel search website, such as www.hrs.com or the one here on Trip Advisor to find a hotel.

Germany is safe just about anywhere you go.

May I suggest you spend a bit of time on Trip Advisor, looking at other peoples posts where suggestions are made for Berlin and Munich to get some ideas of what you want to do.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,798 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help with planning from Berlin to Munich

It REALLY depends on what you want to see between Berlin and Munich (and why do you want to restrict yourself to the night train anyway?)

If it is mid-sized cities/towns on the main route (such as Nuernberg, Bamberg, Jena, Naumburg, Leipzig...) train - but normal one, not a night train) would be the ebst idea. If you want to drive off from the main roads, to wander around the countryside etc., renting a car is probably a better idea. Though I don´t understand as well why you want all the hassle and additional costs of going to the out-of-the-way airports and renting cars there.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
426 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help with planning from Berlin to Munich

dear ndjunkie,

i believe once you are in berlin, you need to see:

-the berlin wall (still some fractures left, at eastside gallery or potsdamer platz

-the reichstag, the brandenburg gate und the nearby street "unter den linden"

-the charlottenburg castle

- the zitadelle at berlin-spandau

and definately a day trip to potsdam!

on the way from berlin to munich, it would be handy to visit dresden and prague.

i have been to munich several times, but not recently, i believe some other posters can give you some better advise here!

as mentioned by the other travel experts, i believe travelling by train would be the best way. if you still decide to go by car, it is of course possible, just make sure you get a navigation system at your rental car. parking in the city is very expensive, for you mostly can only get a parking space in the parking lots which charge heavily!

have fun - tom

CA
Level Contributor
46 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help with planning from Berlin to Munich

Thank you all for you reply. I'll look into it some more by reading books & read trip advisors.

One one question because you said:

>> Though I don´t understand as well why you want all the hassle and additional costs of going to the out-of-the-way airports and renting cars there.

>>> Where should I rent a car is better? I thought I can rent at the airport easier for me to load the luggages & drive to hotel? is it not true? For the return car in Munich, I'll return the car at city where I stay when I arrive to Munich, I would like to ask you for more info when I know where I'll stay in Munich.

Thanks

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,577 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help with planning from Berlin to Munich

> Where should I rent a car is better?

If than a rental car makes only sense for driving from Berlin to Munich. And this only if you want to make some stopovers en route at places not well served by trains. But with your time frame I see no time for such stopovers. And with the stress on German autobahns (high traffic density, high speeds) such a long drive is no big joy.

> I thought I can rent at the airport easier for me to load the luggages & drive to hotel? is it not true?

Most convenient would be to hop into one of the waiting taxis at the airport. That's faster and less expensive than a rental car. Locals will often use public transport to cover the bulk of the trip and taxi only from the next close train station to the final destination, if latter is not well connected by public transport.

With a rental car you

- have to find the office/desk of the rental company first

- do all the paperwork

- find the places where the rental cars are parked (not in front of the doors like with public transport or taxis)

- find your rental car there

- check it

- in worst case getting back to the office to sort out problems (damages not listed - you dunno wan't to pay for them at the end - or?)

- find your way to your hotel in a city you don't know and a traffic/sign system new to you

- find the parking garage of the hotel, if it has one

And than in the end you'll have to pay for the parking extra. Which alone can well exceed the price of a mini group day ticket for public transport.

And to use a car for sightseeing in Berlin or Munich is even more inconvenient. To find parking space in the city centres near the sights is no easy task. And again never for free. And when finished with sightseeing you're often quite some distance from your car. At the time you're back at your car you are with public transport already at your hotel.

- - -

- I live in Germany

- I have a (quite nice and fast) car. Thus I don't have to rent one.

- I have been as a tourist a couple of times in Berlin and Munich

- I have never used my car for these trips

berlin
Level Contributor
2,107 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help with planning from Berlin to Munich

(1) What to see in each place - I suggest you'll check the section "Things to Do" for each of the cities. Because you're staying for such a short time (which is especially short for Berlin, where there's a lot to see), I would recommend taking a walking tour. The best walking tour companies are:

- Insider Tours in Berlin

- Munich Walks in Munich

(2) I would recommend either driving to Munich (about 6-7 hours if you do it non-stop, but naturally you can stop along the way, make an overnight stay somewhere); or taking a train (in a way, more comfortable) - flight would not save you time (with check in and security time before). However, for flights check WhichBudget and similar sites, so you can find a cheap flight between the two cities.

Where to stop (if driving?): in my opinion -

- Potsdam

- Wittenberg

- Leipzig

- Nuremberg or Beyreuth

(3) There is excellent public transportation in both cities and no reason to use car inside the city, unless you're disabled, or babies, heavy stuff, etc. You can get to the hotel with a taxi (there are even good buses from Tegel to many hotel areas; and also a good shuttle/transit service) and do the rest with public transportation and walking.

CA
Level Contributor
46 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help with planning from Berlin to Munich

Hi All,

Please help to answer # 3

3) Where should I stay, please tell me around what area in Berlin & Munich that I should stay which easy to get to the center of main attractions and safe?

Thanks

CA
Level Contributor
46 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need help with planning from Berlin to Munich

I check the hotels around Berlin and you are right about the parking fee.

Please advise if I do it right when come to buy a train ticket

1) I go to www.deutschebahn.com/site/bahn/en/start.html

2) Select 1 way ticket, fr Berlin to München Hbf enter the date & time I wanted then it show the price but when it come to select to purchase

I have question about which one should I select for product because the one with reasonable price hace change =1 but the many choices for Product such as IC,ICE or ICE or R, ICE or R, IC,ICE

Thanks

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,577 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Need help with planning from Berlin to Munich

Safety is no problem. Not in Berlin. And even less in Munich.

If you use e.g. a site like

http://www.hrs.com

to search/book a hotel the distance to the city centre will be shown.

Generally: central and close to a S-Bahn or U-Bahn (metro) hub is the best idea.

public transport Berlin

http://www.bvg.de/index.php/en/Bvg/Start

public transport Munich

http://www.mvv-muenchen.de/en/index.html

In Munich you have the rather compact old city centre with some hotels in and most around it.

Berlin is a widespread place with no single city centre. Here a good connection with public transport is even more necessary.

For booking train tickets.

DB timetable

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

To: Munich

There are direct ICE trains between both cities.

The regional trains showing up in the connections you've seen point that this query was not between Berlin Hbf and München Hbf (the above query will default to these stations).

The ICE highspeed trains are actually an experience on their own. Fast and comfortable.

Depending on your travel day you may be able to get discounted specials for this trip (from EUR 29,00). With 4 persons you may want to reserve also seats (this is not compulsory) if you want to sit together. EUR 2,00 per seat if you book it together with the train ticket.

10. Re: Need help with planning from Berlin to Munich

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2009, 06:41