We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Volcano dust

lvasova@yahoo.gr
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Volcano dust

Hello everybody! I am flying from Thessaloniki (GR) to Munchen in August and I have already bought my tickets, but I am really upset with the volcano dust and the problems that might occur to the flights. To tell you the truth, after the crash of the airplane in Libanon, I am rather terrified - well, I am not very comfortable with flights, anyway.

My question: Is there a reliable site to get informed about the dangers for various flights, caused by the dust? I really don' t trust the airlines (because they lose too much money in case of cancelations), so I am looking for any information coming from independent sources. I would appreciate your personal opinion or experience, as well...

Mentioned in this post
Thessaloniki
Thessaloniki
Thessaloniki Region, Greece
Libanon
Libanon
204 Reviews
Dusseldorf, Germany
Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
6,074 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Volcano dust

The crash in Lebanon was not due to volcanic ash as far as I know.

It is not the airlines choice to fly or not, it is up to the airports. Airports shut down and cancel flights, not the airlines themselves.

Larnaca, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Larnaka District, Larnaca
Level Contributor
1,098 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Volcano dust

I confirm that the crush in Lebanon happened BEFORE the eruption of the Volcano, so there is no point of linking the two. And if this info helps a little, deaths caused by road accidents are much more that deaths in the air, but we still use the car without been terrified.

As fas as I know, it is the Civil Aviation Authorities that decide for the closure of Aerospace and not commercial airlines or Airport Operators ( who may be private entities).

Since we are also travveling around the same period, I am also concerned about this dust issue that might cause the cancellation of our planned family vacations. However I just cross fingers and hope that the volcano will soon stop the emissions...

3. Re: Volcano dust

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 November 2010, 07:37