We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riviera Travel Rhine Moselle River Cruise

England
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Topic
Riviera Travel Rhine Moselle River Cruise

Has anybody been on one? We're thinking of a cabin on the Ruby (middle) deck of MS Swiss Corona. Questions:

Are there any cabins on the Ruby deck we should avoid (at the back maybe?)

Is engine noise intrusive?

Are the drinks on board expensive?

What is the dress code at dinner?

Will July be OK weather wise?

Any other comments/tips would be greatly appreciated

TIA

1. Re: Riviera Travel Rhine Moselle River Cruise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 08 May 2012, 10:22
Exeter, United...
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Riviera Travel Rhine Moselle River Cruise

Just back from trip on the Danube with Riviera Travel on Swiss Corona. Cannot speak highly enough of the food and service on the Swiss Corona with 5 course dinners being the norm. The cabins are spacious and comfortable and the crew are friendly and very efficient . Riviera Travel staff were also good. Just hope the company books this boat on the Rhine - I'll be on it like a shot !

Glastonbury...
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Riviera Travel Rhine Moselle River Cruise

anything else you can tell us about your experience? We were looking at a cruise on the Danube through Viking and it was double the cost. Were tours included on this trip and how were they? Were there rooms available with a balcony?

Exeter, United...
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Riviera Travel Rhine Moselle River Cruise

Hi Jill P. The answer to your questions were Yes, all tours were included in the cost and were led by a team of Riviera Travel guides who were all experienced, knowledgeable and friendly. Cannot be certain about balconies but I do know that the upper deck has patio style French balcony windows.

Kingston upon Hull...
Level Contributor
2 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Riviera Travel Rhine Moselle River Cruise

This reply is probably too late for the people asking the question, but we have just returned from a cruise along the Rhine, from Switzerland to Germany, (and briefly France), and have to say that, thanks to the excellent crew and standard of the Swiss Corona, it rates as one of our best holidays ever.

The cleanliness, hospitality and food were absolutely fantastic - definitely 5 star standard.

The cabins are not massive, but ours was more than adequate, with enough storage, very comfortable beds and pillows and a very good shower. We had a cabin on the top deck, which gave us a large opening window, with a (French?) balcony, although the air conditioning was very efficient, and it was best not to have the window open for too long in case mosquitos decided to have a nibble.

We had never been on such a small ship, and were a little worried that we would feel obliged to constantly make small talk with people we had nothing in common with, but actually we found everyone very friendly without being overly intrusive. It was a very friendly ship all round - the crew were very professional and nothing was too much trouble. On our last day, all staff, including the Captain and the Hotel Manager were helping to load luggage onto the coach.

The ports of call were well chosen and interesting. There was little in the way of entertainment in the evenings, apart from a very pleasant pianist in the lounge, and one evening when we had a crew show of about an hour (very funny actually!), but probably the most impressive things about the ship was the absolute cleanliness throughout and the spectacularly good food! It was also a very good idea that we could get self service hot drinks at any time of the day or night from the small bar at the rear of the ship. (although there were tea and coffee facilities in the cabins too)

All in all - highly recommended!!

Edited: 14 July 2012, 16:07
Mentioned in this post
Germany
Germany
Europe
France
France
Europe
Newbury
Level Contributor
29 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Riviera Travel Rhine Moselle River Cruise

I'm a bit worried. We're going on the Blue Danube cruise, on the MS Swiss Corona at the end of October. Being short of dosh, we've booked the Emerald Deck, literally the lowest of the low. I think that's below the water line and, due to a traumatic incident in a water park recently (I'm actually sh*t scared of water!) I'm fretting that the whole thing is going to give me nightmares. Has anyone done this cruise, on this particular deck? Looking for reassurance here!!!

Exeter, United...
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Riviera Travel Rhine Moselle River Cruise

Absolutely no problem with Emerald deck. We had a cabin on this deck for just the same reasons. They are the same size, very spacious, as the next deck up. The waterline is below the window and you get an interesting view of the shore when the boat is moving. Equally, the public rooms are so good and spacious why would you spend your days looking out of your cabin window ? Enjoy !

Scarborough, United...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Riviera Travel Rhine Moselle River Cruise

Keep away from cabin 232 ON Ruby Deck. very noisy next to engines and air con unit. industrial laundry 24 hr day next to your bathroom and bed wall. smelly and hot. paid extra would be better on emerald.

Middlesbrough
Level Contributor
2 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Riviera Travel Rhine Moselle River Cruise

Wish I had read this before going on a Riviera Travel cruise on same ship last week. Terrible noise a week with very little sleep spoiled our holiday. I would like to take action to avoid any other holiday maker having same problems.

Did you complain?

What action was taken?

David W

Kingston upon Hull...
Level Contributor
2 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Riviera Travel Rhine Moselle River Cruise

rthe Swiss Corona is a great ship. Drinks are not particularly cheap, but not really too expensive. The crew are amazing - friendly and hard working. I think all cabins are excellent; nice bathrooms etc. - we chatted to lots of people and no-one had any complaints that we heard of. The food is fantastic! Dress code is smart casual I would say, though we like to dress up a bit anyway; obviously no shorts at dinner! There is usually one formal evening, but you don't need a dinner suit particularly, just be smart. Ladies tend to wear a nice dress, not necessarily a long gown or anything.

July on the Rhine will be hot I would think. We went in June and the weather was lovely.

Hope this helps. We would go back on the Swiss Corona anytime - it was great!