We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Berlin

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,036 posts
119 reviews
Save Topic
Air Berlin

We are about to book our flights from Oslo, Norway to Naples, Italy. Can anyone tell me anything about Air Berlin? They are giving good rates. Are they safe? reliable? On time? Good at handling our luggage? Do they charge for every little thing?

Thanks.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
719 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air Berlin

Not exactly recent, but we flew AB from Berlin to Budapest in 2008. There was a stop in Nuremberg ( I think that is their hub?) and everything was fine. The flight was on-time, no problem with luggage, and they even served lunch for a relatively short flight.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,036 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air Berlin

Thank you for your message Apecs. I am glad to know then it is not a brand new airline and it's decent. I might just book the flt then. Thank you for your help.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,380 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Air Berlin

Wikipedia answers most of your questions

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Berlin

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air Berlin

I'm writing this post as I'm on my fifth hold on Air Berlin's non-existant customer service department. I should have learned my listen with EasyJet. These cheap air carriers cost you any many other ways. My intercontinental flight was canceled 30 days prior to it's departure date. Air Berlin offered my another flight home but from a different city. They did not offer any suggestions on how to get to the new city 100 miles away. Nor did they think is was their responsibility to assist me. They did say, however. they would refund my money. But of course it 30 days from my travel date and other options are now cost prohibitive. Tried several times to talk to anyone with power and to no avail. Never again.

Edited: 28 June 2011, 03:24
5. Re: Air Berlin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 28 June 2011, 06:35
6. Re: Air Berlin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 28 June 2011, 06:35
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,557 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Air Berlin

AirBerlin offers good service about Europe.

There's always extra problems with intercontinental flights if the airline isn't a member of a good airline alliance where switching to other flights is relatively easy on the same airline or partner airlines if your flight is cancelled. However, with few if any partners, you have few if any alternative choices. This is why I shy away from cheap intercontinental flights where there are few flights per week and no alternative carriers if there are problems, who wants to get stranded for days somewhere?

Berlin
Level Contributor
89 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Air Berlin

I use Air Berlin frequently for business trips (mainly domestic) and privately (mainly on European routes) and have never had any real problems. Their economy service is much better than Lufthansa (no comparison to Easyjets non-service at all policy). Also in terms of reliability and safety they are quite good.

Lodi, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Air Berlin

Air berlin's planes are very old, uncomfortable and in bad shape. They can NOT compare with Lufthansa in any category. There is no air vents above your head, there is only lamp. I did Berlin to JFK, 9 hours .... NO, thank you.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,036 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Air Berlin

In a follow up, we did take Air Berlin. If one is not expecting much, one won't be disappointed. Maybe that didn't sound right. We were happy with our short flight. We understood it was a budget airline and we understood it wasn't going to be first class service but it was a short flight. We booked online easily, arrived and self checked-in. The flight was smooth with a snack and drink. The flight attendants were courteous. We, and our bags arrived safely! Non eventful! The best kind of flight. I highly recommend Air Berlin!