We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rentals

St. Petersburg...
4 posts
Save Topic
car rentals

Where do you rent a car in germany and is it expensive?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,457 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car rentals

All the major car rentals rent cars throughout Germany, as well as the German company Sixt and several others. Just enter car rental in the search box on this forum and you will get a lot more ideas such as auto-brokers who charge less for a car than the major car rentals but use their cars.

Of course, price is partially dependent on the car you rent. If you cannot drive with a standard shift transmission, who will have to pay much more for a car as usually the ones with automatic transmissions are also in a higher price category besides the additional charge for being automatic. If you rent your car from an office at an airport or at the main train station in large cities you will automatically run into a large surcharge which carries through all transactions with that car. This can be avoided by renting at other less convenient locations which will not impose such surcharges.

With a large rental firm, you can usually drop off your car anywhere at another of their offices throughout Germany without incurring one way drop off charges.

It's also a good idea to look at those rental complaint posts that are also in the forum, such as the business that will not accept an American credit card in lieu of buying their expensive insurance while most others will. Also, about taking the time to thoroughly check out your car before you drive away for any damage, some of which you might consider not even damage in the US, as then there may be large (in my opinion, probably largely bogus) repair charges which might be a scam.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,392 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car rentals

I use Sixt or Hertz,both are pretty reliable with good cars.

Alot of Americans like www.gemut.com who are a US based consolidator so you will pay in US$

ocala,fl
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: car rentals

I always use gemut.com . Go to their site or call andy and he will give you great advise. They are located in oregon so the time is 3 hrs different. jayvee ocala

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
5 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car rentals

I prepaid my AutoEurope car for Dec. 1, and when I got there I was required to pay an additional 15EU per day for winter tires. AE's contract stated this was recommended, not required, but I was not given a choice. This made the cost much more than Avis, who didn't require prepayment! Will not use AE again.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
995 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car rentals

melsnana--did you contact AE about this? We've always had good luck with them making good when there's a problem. Which company was your car actually from--Avis, Europecar, etc.? I assume you actually mean autoeurope.com and not autoeuropa.

Anyway, we've used both autoeurope.com and gemut.com many time and have been completely satisfied. They are consolidators--your car will actually be from Avis, or Europecar, or some other rental company.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
5 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car rentals

This was AutoEurope, whom we've used frequently. Generally the cars are from Europcar, but this time it was from Hertz. AutoEurope's voucher stated that winter tires are recommended and that are provided if you make a special request. However, when I showed up I was told they are required. Since we are only here for two weeks, and I am not anticipating any winter hazards and won't drive if there are any, I don't need winter tires. AutoEurope said to contact them after the rental is over, which is kind of late if they say no. I paid the winter tire fee directly to Hertz. I thought that 120EU, the cost of the tires for my rental, was kind of high considering it's more than a third of the original cost. Had I rented directly from AVIS, it would have been cheaper with the winter tires. But I'll let you know what happens when I write AutoEurope at the end of the rental.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
995 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: car rentals

I would have contacted autoeurope right away, but why don't you go ahead an notify them now by email? Maybe they can arrange something for you by the time you turn the car in.

Seattle, Washington
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: car rentals

Do not use Dollar or Thrifty!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Read Terstappen trip adviser complaints.

On November 2012 I made car reservations through Travelocity to rent from Dollar Rent A Car for a compact wagon (Voldswagen Golf or similar) for a trip to Munich, Germany, set to commence on Jan 10th through Jan 31th for a total price of Euro 334.85. Upon arriving in Munich Germany, I found out that Dollar Rent A Car and Thrifty subcontracts out their car rental service with a company named Terstappen. Upon giving my reservation number, I was advised I could not rent the car without mandatory car insurance. They also did not accept credit card insurance unless it is Mastercard Gold AND I have a letter from Mastercard indicating that I have coverage. This was not advised by Travelocity or Dollar Rent A Car when they provided the car rental quote. They refused to accept my Amex Gold, Visa or Mastercard Gold without a letter from the company. Had I know, I am renting from Terstappen, I would have checked on trip advisor and realized this is not a company to rent from. I simply do not understand how reputable companies as Travelocity and Dollar Rent a Car can let themselves represent by Terstappen, a bunch of crooks in Germany. A rental that should have costed Euro 334.85 is costing me $2,700 charged to my Amex account. Of course, they added some bogus damage and I still have never received a receipt for the rental. I did call Travelocity from the rental desk in Munich and got zero help from customer service. Zero. Also no help from Dollar Rent a Car customer service when I called. I am disputing the charges with Amex, but the whole incident is a disgrace.

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: car rentals

Hi clueless21,

Getting back to your original question...

Renting in Germany can be quite expensive depending on the car, location, and how you make sure you are covered with insurance. Also, if you are under 25 years old, you may not be able to rent a car at all, or if you can, you will pay a per day surcharge (Hertz won't rent to anyone under 23 based on the quick search of their website.)

Also, gasoline is very expensive there. Currently, diesel is running around $7.25 per gallon and unleaded gasoline is in the $8.25 to $8.50 per gallon.

Finding parking in major cities is quite a challenge and can be expensive, too.

Finally, most cars offered for rent have manual transmissions, but you can request an automatic for an additional cost. (There may not be a guarantee of getting and automatic transmission, so you should know how to drive a manual / "stick shift" car.)

Hopefully that helps.

San Jose, CA
Destination Expert
for Wengen, Jungfrau Region
Level Contributor
2,614 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: car rentals

Start out by going to the gemut.com website and downloading their very informative article about renting a car in Europe.

Consider traveling by rail as it is brilliant in Germany. I live in California (where we have basically no pubic transport), have been to Bavaria over 25 times. Don't know where you are travelling in Germany but we very rarely rent a car. Only if we are doing a two or three day trip outside of larger towns and want to cover a lot of small village territory quickly.

If you still feel like you need to rent a car, do so through gemut. Fabulous service, very good value for the money, no drama (see above, it can get really ugly).

Then, sign up for the Amex premium car rental insurance. If you don't have an Amex card, get one before you go for this purpose. If you book and pay for your car rental with the Amex card you get $100K of primary insurance (which means your US-based car insurance company doesn't get involved) for $25 for the entire rental period up to 42 days. Can't beat that. But you have to have an Amex card AND sign up (free to sign up) for the insurance. See https:/…home.do