We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thrifty car rental: my WORST experience

Sydney, Australia
3 posts
Save Topic
Thrifty car rental: my WORST experience

I rented a car from them in Frankfurt airport. When returning the car to them they showed me a minor scratch on the windshield (it was there before, but too minor to note), and charged me 800 Euros. I checked on the market, and the repair should cost only 100 Euro. Furthermore, they could not show that they indeed fixed it. As far as I know, they may be charging the next hirer (and the next one) for the same scratch. I suspect that this is what happened to me.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,337 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thrifty car rental: my WORST experience

Too bad for your experience. If you had did a search on this forum you would have seen several threads on this topic.

I think that before paying any repair charges, you should demand a receipt from the repair shop showing the amount and stating what the work actually was and that it was actually performed. Then you can also check back with the repair shop, and then at least there would have to be two parties to any fraud. I've never done this, but it's kind of like dealing with your insurance company, they will want to see several repair estimates before paying you any money, and you should have similar rights.

Sydney, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Thrifty car rental: my WORST experience

Thank you for your post. But their scam is cleverer than that. There take a deposit when you take the car, and they don't give it back. All I can do is sue them. Next time I'll check the forum beforehand.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Thrifty car rental: my WORST experience

Did you pay for the car with a credit card? If so, challenge the charge and let the credit card company handle this. As marcopolko mentions, there is a whole raft of complaints about this company shown on TA.

Edited: 25 April 2011, 01:18
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thrifty car rental: my WORST experience

Horrible company!!! Rented with them out of Stuttgart, we had booked a Audi A4, when we showed up they gave us a Chevrolet Orlando. And said it was an upgrade! We refused that car and they offered us a Mercedes C class for 5 more euros a day, saying that the C class is an upgrade from the Audi. Amazing they can look you straight in the face and say this to you.

They also got us for the insurance for the rental car. Would not except our American express insurance.

Would have rented from someone else but all car rental companies were sold out.

Avoid these people!!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
3 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thrifty car rental: my WORST experience

We would say the same thing in August 2011! These guys are classic bait and switch

The local agent is NOT Thrifty or Dollar, they have their own rules and regulations...like even if you have insurance and extra insurance through your charge card...they require you to take insurance and the 600 euro deposit. No way around it, so the cheap rate is now more after adding 16 euro per day minimum. The car had 70K kilometers, smelled like smoke and was not what you expect from a rental car.

They are also in Terminal 2, which is a pain if you are flying anything other than Air France.

Tampa
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Thrifty car rental: my WORST experience

Same problem in Munich...When renting a Thrifty Rental Car in Germany, you MUST note EVERY single little scratch or dent prior to renting the vehicle.....OR avoid Thrify / Rent a Terstappen altogether. By the way, they don't make it easy since nobody will go with you to the car in the parking lot after you get the keys. I learned the hard way by simply driving out of the Munich airport only to get charged $106 Euro for a 2cm scratch on the side view mirror casing that I didn't cause in the 2 days I had the car. By the way, they'll hit you up for a $800 Euro insurance coverage up front. If I hadn't filed a complaint with American Express, they would have kept the 800 Euros. They've got the art of the scam down cold. BE AWARE!

Stockholm...
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Thrifty car rental: my WORST experience

No car rental can be worse than Autoeurope

Rude behaviour, no responsibility for their suppliers misstakes, false information are given you etc

Stockholm...
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Thrifty car rental: my WORST experience

Autoeurope must be the worst company

False information are privided

Low prices but you have to spend 50 EURO to be able to picj up the car

Melbourne...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thrifty car rental: my WORST experience

Had the same thing happen to us in London. Hired a BMW wagon/estate car, and when we returned it they honed in immediately on the front windscreen (hard left hand side next to rego sticker) and found a so called chip. Could not be felt from the outside or inside, so we believe it was a flaw in the glass. Tried to charge is some amazing amount for repair. They took the money direct from our credit card, we challenged the credit card and got our money back.

Seemed strange that they went immediately to the windscreen, like they knew it was there.

Avis in Munich charged us for a bubble on the tyre wall (fault in the tyre and a dent in the number plate???) . You have to watch every company, and do thorough inspections of the vehicle before you drive off. Some companies have a Representative CHECK OUT the car, but those who don't check and take photos of any damage with date and time on the photos so you can argue about pre-hire damage, as you will have the evidence.

Jelgava, Latvia
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Thrifty car rental: my WORST experience

I have a rental car from Thrifty in Latvia (Riga).

The agreement is for airport pick-up and drop-off.

When I notified Thrifty that as per the agreement I would return the car to Riga airport tomorrow, they insisted that I have to take the car to their office which is some kilometres from the airport. They were quite offensive in their demand. This is simply totally contrary to their promise clearly stated in the rental agreement and their advertisements. All of this on top of the car being in an atrocious state when I picked it up (no petrol, filthy, only one working headlight, empty windscreen cleaner tank).

I have now informed them that I will only take the car to the airport and they need to make their own arrangements to finalise the paperwork and collect the car.

As a result of this appalling level of service, I will not recommend Thrifty to anyone!