We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

scenic base to make the most of black forest for 3 days

London, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
scenic base to make the most of black forest for 3 days

Hi there,

I am in desperate need of your help to decide where to reside in the black forest. I've spent couple of hours browsing the Black Forest forums but couldn't get an answer.

we are going to Black forest next week for a long weekend, we are hiring a car and flying to Frankfurt.

can you please help as to where to stay (somewhere pretty and scenic) but central enough to go on day trip for scenic drives recommended on Trip advisor and also sightseeing.

I was thinking to stay in a city baden-baden or friedberg, but people seem to say a small village makes a better experience in the black forest

any must sees/do will be very welcome :)

many thanks

canada
Level Contributor
7,615 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: scenic base to make the most of black forest for 3 days

Check out Titisee.

London, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: scenic base to make the most of black forest for 3 days

Hi bofoster,

thanks for the reply, Titisee looks so beautiful thanks for the info :)

Germany
Level Contributor
319 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: scenic base to make the most of black forest for 3 days

I think Titisee is a bit overrun with tourists. You might think about nearby Schluchsee as an alternative.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,667 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: scenic base to make the most of black forest for 3 days

If you want to be centrally located in the Black Forest with almost all sights within an hour's drive, then stay in the area of Haslach, Hausach, Wolfach and Schiltach which lie along Hwy 294 in the central part of the area. My favorite place to visit is Freilichtmuseum Vogtsbauernhof (outdoor museum of Black Forest farmhouses) just south of Hausach where the large unusual farmhouses were moved there from throughout the region and reassembled. Personally, I would want to either stay in such an old farmhouse or in a remote valley village surrounded by forest far from the usual tourist haunts.

One thing, make sure to spend the money to get a good large scale map (at least 1:150000 or larger) that shows ALL rural roads and sights of interest for a tourist that are rated. Scenic drives will be shown, and you can discover many scenic routes where you may be the only tourists.

Information on the Black Forest can be found at www.schwarzwald-tourismus.info and some vacation rentals at www.familien-ferien.de and www.urlaub-bauernhof.de . Many places in Germany have websites of the form www.PLACENAME.de, just enter the actual place name and the tourism (Tourismus) part of the website will have information on accommodations.

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,385 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: scenic base to make the most of black forest for 3 days

I agree Titisee is just too touristy. You might want to consider St Peter or St Maergen. Both are situated in countryside that is less forested than usual in the Black Forest, so the views are great.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,667 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: scenic base to make the most of black forest for 3 days

Speaking of St. Peter, the church there is excellent as is the former monastery library. Across from the church was a cafe that had the best Black Forest cake that I've ever had, just optically perfect and delicious from someone who normally doesn't like this dessert.

London, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: scenic base to make the most of black forest for 3 days

Hi,

thank you SuzyQ200 for the touristy alert and thank you marcopolko and blawcleea for the helpful advise.

I particularly like the advice on being 1 hour away from the main attractions and also marcopolko's recommendation for the best Black Forest Gateau.

perfect just in time for me to book the hotels as we are leaving end of this week ;)

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,853 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: scenic base to make the most of black forest for 3 days

This thread is very helpful. I've been planning on a side trip from Freiburg for an upcoming trip, and St. Peter sounds like just what I was looking for.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,667 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: scenic base to make the most of black forest for 3 days

St. Peter is nice for an hour or so, and it sits out in the open in the hills with little forest about. If driving, it's certainly worth a stop.

If you would like to have a pleasant very enjoyable drive, head east from there to St. Märgen and continue on to Erlenbach. Then head to Glasberg and Glashütte and visit the Hexenlochmühle (witch hole mill). After a visit, return the way you came and take the nearby road to Wildgutach through the excellent Simonswälder Valley. This road runs along the river through an isolated valley, probably the best place now that I know of for seeing the Black Forest as I would like it to be. (There was another place I liked better in the northern Black Forest which was truly dark and with the dark green evergreens, but they were all destroyed in a recent storm and I couldn't even recognize the place on a recent trip.)

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,853 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: scenic base to make the most of black forest for 3 days

Thanks for the advice. I will be relying on public transportation, so that rules out a driving itinerary. St. Märgen is doable, though, and looks beautiful.