We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tours of Glass Route walking etc

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
27 posts
228 reviews
Save Topic
Tours of Glass Route walking etc

Hi anyone have info on walking tours of Bavarian or Bohemian glass trails?

New York
Level Contributor
2,391 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tours of Glass Route walking etc

First I've heard of it, BUT the Munich Stadtmuseum has a good exhibit on glass and optics. And - farther afield - White Mills, Pennsylvania is the home of the Dorflinger glass/crystal works, which imported/employed many blowers and cutters from that region. Dorflinger made crystal for the Lincoln White House.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
27 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tours of Glass Route walking etc

Hi it is also callled the Glassstraße , still no information

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
27 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tours of Glass Route walking etc

Hi it is also callled the Glassstraße , still no information

New York
Level Contributor
2,391 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tours of Glass Route walking etc

I found a website by searching for Glassstrasse with routes, histories, producers, etc. I see it runs north of Passau. I lived in Passau for 4 weeks many years ago. It is a beautiful city and worth a day or two, just for wandering around the streets, full of Italian influenced architecture.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
27 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tours of Glass Route walking etc

Hi RobLaw , I can find info about the route but no providers of tours , several years ago they where there. You walked they carried your gear and organized places to stay on the way but I can not find any now. I Know and love Passau spent only a day or so there but have promised my self one day to have a week or two there as it has the best glass museun !!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
376 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tours of Glass Route walking etc

Hi Marty,

I don't know of any organised tours as such in this area. There are many well-marked walking trails, and maps are available for walkers/hikers, either commercially or from local tourist offices in towns such as Regen, Zwiesel, Bodenmais etc. Most of these small towns have their own websites with tourist information, although they are mostly only in German. There is a wonderful Glas Museum in Frauenau, well worth a visit. Bigger towns at the 'edges' of the Bavarian Forest are Passau and Deggendorf. I know the area because my father's family lived in Zwiesel. Please let me know if I can help you with more information.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
376 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tours of Glass Route walking etc

Hi Marty,

I don't know of any organised tours as such in this area. There are many well-marked walking trails, and maps are available for walkers/hikers, either commercially or from local tourist offices in towns such as Regen, Zwiesel, Bodenmais etc. Most of these small towns have their own websites with tourist information, although they are mostly only in German. There is a wonderful Glas Museum in Frauenau, well worth a visit. Bigger towns at the 'edges' of the Bavarian Forest are Passau and Deggendorf. I know the area because my father's family lived in Zwiesel. Please let me know if I can help you with more information.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
27 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tours of Glass Route walking etc

Hi Lorikeet-17 thanks for that info . will let you know if I need your help . Guess will have to go there and work to out then???

Bayerisch Eisenstein
Level Contributor
375 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Tours of Glass Route walking etc

The website for the glasstrasse is http://www.die-glasstrasse.de/. It's in Germany only, but type the website address into Google translate and it does a reasonable job of making sense of it.

The glass road has 4 main walking routes: Der Gläserne Steig, Historischer Glashütten-Wanderweg, Der Pfahlwanderweg and Der Glasschleiferweg. The site has info on each, plus contact details and more.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
27 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tours of Glass Route walking etc

Thank you Clairejerry