We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food, Yummy!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Topic
Food, Yummy!

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I are planning on visiting the following places and would love some food recommendations. Where are the best places to eat, we love almost all types of food! When it comes to food we don't care what it costs as long as it is worth the price!

Any help would be great!

THANKS

San Jose, CA
Destination Expert
for Wengen, Jungfrau Region
Level Contributor
2,538 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food, Yummy!

"My husband and I are planning on visiting the following places and would love some food recommendations."

What places?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Food, Yummy!

Friday: Land in Frankfurt and rent a car and drive to Wurzburg and then end up in Nuremburg where we will spend the night

Saturday: Drive to Regensburg spend the day then drive to Munich, spend Sat. night in Munich

Sunday: Munich to Neuschwanstein Castle, Sunday night stay in Munich

Monday: Munich spend the day then drive to Stuttgart, check out the Wine Festival then drive to Baden-Baden, sleep there

Tuesday: Drive to Freiburg and around the Black Forest, then spend the night again in Baden-Baden

Wednesday: Baden-Baden to Heidlberg (drive) spend the night in Heidelberg

Thursday: Visit around Heidlberg and then drive to Cologne and spend time there and around that area and Rhine

Friday: Cologne to Dusseldorf stay here

Saturday: Drop car off and take a train to Amsterdam - Stay until we depart on Monday

San Jose, CA
Destination Expert
for Wengen, Jungfrau Region
Level Contributor
2,538 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food, Yummy!

Wow, that's a hectic schedule.

As for great restaurants in Munich, see this thread

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187309-i118-k4691…

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,185 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food, Yummy!

Sunday: at Hohenschwangau eat lunch at the Hotel Lisl in one of their dining rooms. The wild boar Bratwurst is excellent. Why return to Munich, It's out of your way.

Monday: Seeing you will be at the Weindorf in Stuttgart with about 50 places to choose from to eat and drink, just wander about and observe what the people are eating until you discover a place where you see something that looks excellent and eat there ordering the same dish. Oh, for wine, Lemberger is considered to be the best red one.

Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
569 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Food, Yummy!

A good restaurant near Heidelberg is the Schwarzer Hahn in Deidesheim.

http://www.deidesheimerhof.de/en/home/

This is where former german chancellor Helmut Kohl took his foreign guests.

It is 40 minutes away from Heidelberg but only a small detour when driving on to Cologne. You have to reserve a table and it is not cheap. They have a menue on their website with prices.

Here is list with Michelin star awarded restaurants in Germany, sorted by states.

restaurant-kritik.de/blogs/komplette-liste-d…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Food, Yummy!

Thank you for the advice, Schwarzer looks great! I love the way the restaurant is decorated!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Food, Yummy!

If you go to Deidesheim, you must stop at one of the vineyards for a wine tasting!

Efp53,

What is the special dish at Schwarzer Hahn. I remember going here a few years back and I requested the special local dish but I cannot remember what I was called. Can you refresh my memory? Thanks

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Food, Yummy!

Oops, I cannot remember what "it" was called!

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,313 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Food, Yummy!

I feel sorry for the driver who has to restrain from sampling the wines! Big disadvantage of going by car. If I were you I would stay somehwere near the restaurant instead of Heidelberg. The wine villages in Palatine are beautiful. Deidesheimer Hof itself is a hotel but - not a cheap one.

The special dish is probably Pfälzer Saumagen.

Edited: 15 August 2011, 12:48
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,185 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Food, Yummy!

"The special dish is probably Pfälzer Saumagen."

Ah, the German answer to Scottish haggis!!!! And to think people pay to eat this, although my wife likes Saumagen.

Of course, before getting carried away about visiting a restaurant, see if you can get reservations.

I would have suggested visiting the small town of Baiersbronn ( www.baiersbronn.de ) in the Black Forest, Germany's dining mecca, with Germany's best restaurant at the Schwarzwaldstube at Hotel Traube Tonbach, another 3* Michelin restaurant in Germany's top 10, and another 1* restaurant, but I don't think you could get reservations without a wait of several months.