We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Romantic Road-Where to stay for Family of 4

New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Topic
Romantic Road-Where to stay for Family of 4

We are traveling the Romantic Road from Wurzberg to Fussen this summer. I need advise on where to stay.

I was thinking a night in Wurzberg, Rothenburg, Augsberg and Fussen. Are these too many stops? Can you recommend places to stay at each?

I am thinking about Burg-Hotel Rellais du Silence in Rothenburg? Has anyone stayed there?

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Romantic Road-Where to stay for Family of 4

How are you travelling? Car? Train?

New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Romantic Road-Where to stay for Family of 4

By car.

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
527 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Romantic Road-Where to stay for Family of 4

I would prefer Regensburg over Augsburg. Regensburg is more "compact" and more picturesque. During the WWIi Augsburg was more heavily bombed and more of its Old Town was destroyed than Regensburg, The complete medieval town center of Regensburg is a world heritage site.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,664 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Romantic Road-Where to stay for Family of 4

Of course Regensburg is nowhere near the Romantic Road while Augsburg is actually on it. The places you chose are OK, and they are distributed along the RR. You could easily spend twice the amount of time visiting places on or near the RR. Many places along it will have free brochures and maps that show the many sites, and I strongly suggest getting one so you can decide what things you want to see.

I do suggest making a slight detour north of Donauwörth for Kaisheim and the prison in the former monastery. I doubt that you'll visit another place as interesting in Germany. The monastery church is nice, and on the back side of it is the entrance to the museum of past and present prison history, and in the lovely Kaiserhall (although within the prison, it still holds performances) you can look out the windows and see into the prison behind the tall razor-wire covered walls. Just behind the walls at the end of the room are some of the actual cell blocks. You'll never see a lovelier prison anywhere in the world as the former monastery buildings are well-kept and freshly painted. Just an excellent place to visit that combines the past with the present in an interesting manner.

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
527 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Romantic Road-Where to stay for Family of 4

True. Regensburg is not on the Romantic Road. Sorry, I didn't realize that that was the idea ...

6. Re: Romantic Road-Where to stay for Family of 4

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2013, 10:34