We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nurburg to Munich

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Nurburg to Munich

My friends & I are renting a car from September 28th - October 1st and are planning to drive from Munich to Nurburg, while seeing other sites along the way. Our final goal is to drive around the Nurburgring (per the request of my husband - it's one of his "must-dos" for our trip).

We're in the process of making our plans of places to stop during our drive. As of now, we're planning on going from Munich to Colmburg (stopping in Fussen & at some castles on the way, spending the night im Colmburg); from Colmberg to the Rhine Valley (I think we'll spend the night in either St. Goar's or Bacharach); and from the Rhine Valley to Nurburg to do the Nurburgring.

After doing the Nurburgring, we were planning on hitting the road to do some sightseeing & stay overnight somewhere between Nurburg & Munich - hoping that wherever we would stay would put us closer to Munich that the 5 hour distance from Nurburg.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to a cool place for us to spend that night. We've thrown around the idea of Rothernburg or Nuremburg, but are having a hard time settling on one place. I'd love to hear some input.

There's 4 people in our group - two women & two men, in upper-20s to mid-30s, one of us has been to Germany before, the others haven't, as I said before, we will have a car.

Mentioned in this post
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Eckartsburg
Castles, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Schloss Oranienbaum
Architectural Buildings, Castles, Historic Sites, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
15,275 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nurburg to Munich

Since your husband is interested in automobiles, visit Stuttgart ( www.stuttgart-tourist.de ) where the automobile was invented and which has the excellent Mercedes Benz and Porsche Museums. Although both museums are excellent, the Mercedes Benz one is a world-class museum and the world's largest automobile museum which deals with the over 125 year history of the automobile and this firm and is loved by all visitors irregardless of age, gender, or whether they particularly like cars or not.

The world's second largest beer festival and at the same time largest fun festival is on at this time (28Sept-14Oct), the Cannstatter Volksfest ( www.cannstatter-volksfest.de ).

For another couple excellent nearby sights, Tuebingen ( www.tuebingen.de ) is our favorite town in Germany, just quintessential Germany, with its hilly cobblestone streets, half-timbered houses, castle, interesting nontourist shops, one of Europe's oldest universities, and the delightful nextdoor medieval well-preserved Bebenhausen Monastery (in www.schloesser-magazin.de/en ).

Another excellent place to visit is nearby Ludwigsburg ( www.ludwigsburg.de ) which has Germany's largest perfectly preserved (all original, not a 1950s rebuild like too many others) palace (in www.schloesser-magazin.de/en ), called for obvious reasons the "Swabian Versailles", with the longest (1.5-2 hour) and best palace tours that I've had in Europe. The world's largest pumpkin exhibition will also be on in the extensive palace gardens at this time (31Aug to 4Nov). Over 400,000 pumpkins and squash of over 450 types (I particularly like the large white ones) will be on exhibition, there will be large themed sculptures made from them (this year's theme is Seeing-worth Switzerland), Europe's largest pumpkins and squash (over 1500lb monsters), and food and drink (pumpkin champagne) made from them. The cute fairytale garden is right next to the pumpkin exhibition. An excellent way to spend a pleasant interesting enjoyable day. ( www.blueba.de only in German so use your computer browser's translation facility, and also some nice pictures of past events)

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
528 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nurburg to Munich

You could also drive the Bertha_Benz_Memorial_Route

…wikipedia.org/wiki/Bertha_Benz_Memorial_Rou…

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Nurburg to Munich

Thanks for the suggestions. I will check everything out!

4. Re: Nurburg to Munich

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 15:17