We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help - Munich & driving south Germany

Killarney, Ireland
Level Contributor
8 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary help - Munich & driving south Germany

Here is my plan for next week. I know, its a last minute decision, all came about as i got some time off work.

Sat 4th - Cork to Munich - 11:30 ORK – 14:55 MUC

Sun 5th - Munich

Mon 6th - Munich

Tues 7th - Car Hire Collection in Munich to Salzberg to Garmisch.

Wed 8th - Garmisch

Thurs 9th - Garmisch – Oberamagau – Linderholf Palace – Fussen

Fri 10th - Fussen (Newanstein Castle, early am) – Meersberg – Ferry to Konstanz

Sat 11th - Konstanz (day trip to Zurich?)

Sun 12th - Konstanz

Mon 13th - Konstanz - Triberg – Simonswald

Tues 14th - Simonswald – Strasbourg

Wed 15th - Strasbourg - Baden Baden - Munich

Thurs 16th - 15:50 MUC – 17:20 ORK

Does anyone think I have too much or too little packed in? What we hope this itinerary will do is allow us visit the castles, the alps, drive some mountain roads, the black forest and get a feel for the city Munich.

All help is much appreciated and any alternative itineraries/auggestions would be great.

Thanks in advance,

Rob

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,733 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary help - Munich & driving south Germany

I would take a day from Konstanz and have an extra day in/around Strasbourg, the wine route (route des vins) is lovely. Whilst Zurich is perfectly nice I would be inclined to give it a miss. Your drive from Strasbourg to Munich might be rather long, between Karlsruhe and Stuttgart and Stuttgart Munich there are a number of lenghty roadworks.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary help - Munich & driving south Germany

I agre with bongoblog.

Plus: Tuesday 7th. Munich -Salzburg - Garmisch in one day is waste of time. This won't give you enough time in Salzburg (note spelling!). Either skip it entirely, or spend the night there or in Berchtesgaden and then drive to Garmisch the next day.

Just in case you are not as notoriously a bad speller as I am, here is the correct spelling of some of the places you misspelled: Oberammergau, Linderhof, Neuschwanstein, Fuessen (there is an umlaut U, so you have to add the "e"), Meersburg.

Killarney, Ireland
Level Contributor
8 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary help - Munich & driving south Germany

Thank you for the replies, after a bit more research I can see we will need a night in Salzburg alright. The day trip to Zurich isnt of major importance to us so i have excluded it for an extra day in Strasbourg.

The itinerary has slightly changed since yesterday as we got a good deal on flights. We will be flying home from Frankfurt thus eliminating the drive from Strasbourg to Munich.

New itinerary currently looks something like this:

Sat 4th - Cork to Munich

Sun 5th – Munich

Mon 6th – Munich

Tues 7th - Car Hire Collection - Munich to Salzburg

Wed 8th – Salzburg - Garmisch

Thurs 9th – Garmisch – Oberammergau – Linderhof - Neuschwanstein – Fuessen – Meersburg – Konstanz

Fri 10th – Konstanz – Triberg

Sat 11th – Triberg – Strasbourg

Sun 12th – Strasbourg

Mon 13th – Strasbourg - baden-baden – Heidelberg – Frankfurt or Mainz?

Tues 14th – Frankfurt or Mainz

Wed 15th – Frankfurt Hahn to Kerry

Does Thurs 9th look a bit too busy? Should we stay in Fuessen before moving to Konstanz?

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,733 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary help - Munich & driving south Germany

Yes the 9th does look rather hectic! A night around Fuessen might be a good idea

Hanau, Germany
Level Contributor
2,360 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary help - Munich & driving south Germany

If you go to Hahn Mainz is better for your last night and don't forget that Hahn is 85 km from Mainz, but not towards Frankfurt, take A 60 towards Koblenz.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary help - Munich & driving south Germany

I agree, one night Fuessen

Nice route Fuessen - Meersburg: From Fuessen- Reutte, Weissenbach am Lech -Nesselwaengle - Oberjoch - Hindelang - Deutsche Alpenstrasse (German Alpine Highway) B-308 Immenstadt - to Autobahn A-96 - visit to Lindau Island (4km south on Autobahn), return to B-34 west to Friedrichshafen - Meersburg

Scenic driving route Munich to Salzburg: Autobahn A-8 east to Siegsdorf exit, Deutsche Alpenstrasse B-306 to Inzell, changes to B-305 after Inzell, B-305 to Berchtesgaden - Salzburg. This saves you having to pay for the Austrian Autobahn toll Vignette, at least fior this segment. .

Killarney, Ireland
Level Contributor
8 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary help - Munich & driving south Germany

We have added a night in Fuessen and also decided on Mainz for the final night taking into account the distance to Hahn.

Thanks everyone for your help! Really looking forward to going now!

@Treplow I will look up those routes you suggested, thank you!

8. Re: Itinerary help - Munich & driving south Germany

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 August 2013, 10:17