We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I get GPS?

vancouver
Level Contributor
144 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Should I get GPS?

I've never used it & solely relied on paper maps. We will be driving in Europe for the first time, just a total of 4-5 hours perhaps. We have been to Europe before but GPS is difficult to get as part of the rental & really expensive to get a map of Germany (the system itself is decently priced to me). My question is, with 1 adult driver & 1 adult navigator, do we really need GPS to get us to Nurburg & Bonn from Frankfurt? I just found that when I was in Austria, I planned ahead with paper maps & sometimes we got lost on foot. Any American tourists driving experience?

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Germany
Germany
Europe
Bonn
Bonn
North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany
Frankfurt
Frankfurt
Hesse, Germany
Austria
Austria
Europe
Hanau, Germany
Level Contributor
2,431 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should I get GPS?

You usually don't need the GPS to get from one major city to the next, the problems often arise in towns or downtown, even the best navigator has problems reading streetsigns during driving, but if you just want to go to your hotel in the city and then walk you might not need a GPS, it just makes driving in towns easier.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
4,728 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should I get GPS?

If there's one driver and one navigator, you can do without a GPS. The problems start when you're driving on your own, or when the person next to you "can't read maps".

La Crosse, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
210 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Should I get GPS?

I've driven in southern Germany without a GPS - maybe a grand total of 3 weeks overall - and didn't have any real problems. Did we get lost sometimes? Sure - but if you don't get lost. then it's not an adventure :)

Mentioned in this post
Germany
Germany
Europe
Indiana
Level Contributor
840 posts
478 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should I get GPS?

Yes. It is silly not to have one nowadays.

5. Re: Should I get GPS?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2012, 12:51
6. Re: Should I get GPS?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 20:17