We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas 2012 in Germany

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
344 posts
145 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas 2012 in Germany

We (myself and my twin 21-year old boys) are travelling to Germany over Christmas. Would like suggestions as to where to stay Christmas Eve for the fairy-tale experience. I know Rothenberg is recommended, but finding a nice hotel that was available was difficult. Biggest concerns are restaurants open and what to do. Thinking later Christmas day might do well for travel to our next destination. We are looking at flying in to Munich on the 20th. We would also like to visit Venice at some point - any suggestions appreciated!

Bautzen, Germany
Level Contributor
814 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas 2012 in Germany

I wouldn't recommend Rothenburg odT for a fairytale experience, and I think most other Germans wouldn't do it either. The town is beautiful, but horribly crowded. Dinkelsbühl and Nördlingen, also on the Romantic Road, are also very nice, but much quiter and more authentic. Other Bavarian towns I would recommend during Christmas are Bamberg, Regensburg, Passau, maybe also Eichstätt or Lindau. And there are of course many towns in other parts of the country.

Yardley...
Level Contributor
145 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas 2012 in Germany

I responded to you on another question about this . Although I am not from Germany I was in Rothenberg just before Christmas in 2010 and on Christmas eve a number of years ago and it is not terribly crowded as it is in summer. In fact at night it can be very charming and my wife and I had a wonderful walk thru snow covered almost deserted streets and felt transported back in time to the 15th century. Hotel Spitzweg is a lovely ancient structure and very reasonably priced for it's atmosphere as well as the very friendly family that runs the hotel bends over backwards for you. In fact the owner came outside in the morning to the private car park to help me clean some overnight snowfall off of my rental car. However everything in town is shut down tight on Christmas day , so I would not be there on that particular day. Once again think about Garmisch for Dec. 25 , since a ski resort tends to disregard the holiday closing tradition.

USA
Level Contributor
1,052 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas 2012 in Germany

Rothenburg is just too, too touristy for our taste. Just about every business in the Altstadt caters to the mass tourism trade. It's pretty and great for a stop to see the pretty buildings and take great photographs, but I can't imagine a less interesting place to actually stay.

Someone else mentioned Bamberg--it is one of our favorite Bavarian cities. It gets tourists too, but it's Altstadt has not been turned into a total tourist enclave like Rothenburg. Plus Bamberg has a lot of history--it's a UNESCO World Heritage city. Also Bamberg's Altstadt was not bombed in WWII, so it didn't have to be reconstructed, unlike Rothenburg which is about 40% rebuild.

4. Re: Christmas 2012 in Germany

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 18:18