We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Munich,Salzburg,Venice,Rimini,Milan, Garmisch

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Munich,Salzburg,Venice,Rimini,Milan, Garmisch

My family will be traveling this route in September, flying into Munich from PDX. We are renting a car for the 2 weeks we are there and staying 2 nights Salzburg, Venice & Rimini. Then one night in Milan, then back up to Garmisch-Partenkirken, then to Munich for a week for Oktoberfest. I would appreciate any driving advice. I am a little worried about parking the car for 2 days when going to Venice, and should I be concerned with any of the roads on the overall route?

Mentioned in this post
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Munich,Salzburg,Venice,Rimini,Milan, Garmisch

There is a good and quite scenic autobahn from Salzburg south to Undine and Venice. Starting in Salzburg, the designation is A-10, at Villach the autobahn number changes to A-23, and at Palmanova to A-4. Along the way are a couple of nice places to stop. My favorite is the Millstaetter See (lake).

To use any and all Austrian autobahns you have to have a Vignette, which is a toll sticker on your windshield. You can buy it in any service station in Austria BEFORE you get on the autobahn. The cheapest is EUR 8 for a ten day duration. The Italian autobahns have toll plazas/exit booth similar to those on US toll roads. There are extra toll collection sites along the A-10, for the use of the transalpine tunnels.

The garage at the end of the causeway to Venice is perfectly save.

I have not driven from Venice to Rimini nor Rimini to Milan, but recommend that you head north from Modena to to Verona, and then on the Autostrada A-4 to Milano. That part is familiar to me. On the way, take a short detour to Lake Garda. The western shore road, Gardesana Occidentale is particularly scenic.

From Milan, drive to Lake Como, and north along the lake or the Route 36 parallelling the lake road, to Chiavenna. In Chiavenna pick up the Route 36/Roiute 3 in Switzerland to St. Moritz (Switzerland) and from there take the routes 27/315 (Austria) to Landeck. There pick up the Austrian autobahn A-12 (you have the vignette!) to the exit 132 and head north on route 189 to Lermoos, where you pick up the 187/German B-23 to Garmisch-Partenkirchen. All this is very scenic. It is quite a bit of driving for one day. St. Moritz might be a neat place to spend the night.

Mentioned in this post
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Villach
Villach
Carinthia, Austria
Rimini
Rimini
Province of Rimini, Italy
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Verona
Verona
Province of Verona, Italy
Lake Como
Lake Como
Lombardy, Italy
Austria
Austria
Europe
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Munich,Salzburg,Venice,Rimini,Milan, Garmisch

Thank you for the helpful driving info!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Munich,Salzburg,Venice,Rimini,Milan, Garmisch

This past May we drove from Lake Como back up to Germany via Switzerland. Upon crossing the border into Switzerland we were required to purchase a toll sticker for a cost of 40 Euros!!! There was no option and only cash was accepted.

Mentioned in this post
Lake Como
Lake Como
Lombardy, Italy
Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Munich,Salzburg,Venice,Rimini,Milan, Garmisch

Re Vanessa's comment:

The routing I have given you avoids all Swiss autobahns, therefore you won't need the toll vignette for Switzerland. Only if you should take the Julier pass route (going north, just before St. Moritz) would you wind up near Chur, where you could possibly need a vignette for driving on the Autobahn A-13; even that can be avoided by going on the parallell regular routes.. But that would be considerably out of the way for you anyhow.

Trust me, I have driven these routes several times.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
30,325 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Munich,Salzburg,Venice,Rimini,Milan, Garmisch

The roads around Milan, particularly the A4, can be horrendous. I have been stuck there for hours, but you haven't got a lot of choice. Then driving into Milan itself is a unique form of torture so I would skip it if I were you, unless you can leave the car somewhere outside and get the train in.

Careful of ZTLs in Italy - all towns and cities have them and they aren't always clearly marked. You won't know that you have been caught until your rental agency charges you.

The route given by Treplow looks good. I have always gone the Lugano/Liechtenstein route and paid the 40 euros.

Mentioned in this post
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Munich,Salzburg,Venice,Rimini,Milan, Garmisch

Thanks, BTW what are ZTL's?

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
30,325 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Munich,Salzburg,Venice,Rimini,Milan, Garmisch

Put 'ZTL' in the Italy forum and you will find about a million results, all complaining about the huge fines racked up!

A quick google search finds the following, for example:

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/travelblogs/654/98894/ZTL%E2%80%99s+in+Rome?destId=359975

slowtrav.com/italy/driving/traffic_cameras_s…

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187849-i143-k51…

etc etc

8. Re: Driving from Munich,Salzburg,Venice,Rimini,Milan, Garmisch

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2013, 05:16