We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone have ATM problems? I did.

Idaho
Level Contributor
12 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Anyone have ATM problems? I did.

Hi

I have used my ATM card (standard four digit pin) from Cambodia to Croatia for the last 10 or so years without any problems. However, last spring I had ATM problems in Finland, Estonia, and Latvia. I assume it was because my US ATM card does not contain a chip. And, yes, I did notify my financial institution where I would be traveling. Does anyone know if I am likely to have further problems or have had problems themselves? I am interested in Europe in general as well as Germany but I had to pick a forum to post to. Thanks to all for your feedback.

Mentioned in this post
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Finland
Finland
Europe
Estonia
Estonia
Europe
Latvia
Latvia
Europe
San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
17,006 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone have ATM problems? I did.

The lack of chip and PIN should not be an issue. ATMs are set up to read the magnetic strip.

The only time I had trouble with an ATM in Europe was in Spain - one card would work and one would not. So I called the bank, they lifted some sort of hold, and then it worked no problem the rest of the trip. And I had notified them ahead of time, so I don't know what the issue was.

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
3,371 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone have ATM problems? I did.

Two years ago in Germany I had problems, even after notifying the bank, with my ATM. Every time I tried to use it, I had to call the bank's international fraud number and tell them AGAIN that I was in Germany. This was in addition to telling them twice before I left. I was very glad I took the bank's international fraud number with me.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone have ATM problems? I did.

Happened to me once in Switzerland. Problem was with my bank (Wells Fargo), failure to "throw the correct switch".

4. Re: Anyone have ATM problems? I did.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 23:15