We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus about

Shallotte
Level Contributor
30 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Bus about

We will be touring Germany,France,Belgium, and Holland. The rail pass used to be a great deal, but the pricing makes it less so now. We are novices re Europe, but experienced budget travelers. Has anyone had experience with a tour/travel business called "bus about"? They seem to provide bus transportation on a set itinerary and include a guide along with the ride. One loop would suit us well. Is it worth it? Is the guide adequate in English? What alternatives would folks recommend? Sure would appreciate some help! We are retired couple who have a summer month for a (probably) one time only trip.

Thanks

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,429 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus about

Haven't used Bus About but I've done a few point-to-point trips with Eurolines and NOT had good experiences. Trains are generally preferable by a wide margin and a better choice for a once-in-a-lifetime trip.

You will probably get good tips here for budget travel options using trains - WITHOUT multi-country railpasses - if you post your specific itinerary and travel dates. There are advance-sale tickets, daypasses and other options that might surprise you.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,750 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus about

The countries you mention are on BusAbout's north loop ( www.busabout.com/hop-on-hop-off/north-loop ). However, they also go further east on that loop to Prague and Vienna. Basically, it is a hop-on hop-off bus service with some required overnight stops and some optional ones. As the routes are defined, you will be only able to easily visit the places on their route, and will be free to spend as much or as little time in each of your stops as you want to. I've noticed their buses quite frequently as I used to live a block or two from the hotel where they drop-off and pick-up people in Stuttgart.

Personally, I always like to choose the places that I want to visit, and not have an itinerary forced on me by others.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus about

When will you be travelling? Effective January 1, 2013, the German government has authorized private companies (as opposed to the Deutsche Bahn and Deutsche Post) to start their own bus service, similar to Greyhound in the US. The idea is to give the DB and DP some competition.

According to the "Spiegel on Line" of today, a few companies have started selective service already. You may want to periodically check the Internet for new postings. Most will probably be in German, though. ,

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,869 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus about

As France does not take part anymore in the Eurail Select Pass scheme the 3 countries pass is anyway no option. France is not pass friendly anymore. And esp. the Thalys trains (Paris - Brussels - Amsterdam/Cologne) are not pass friendly at all. Here the best will be to buy the Thalys tickets in advance or avoid them where possible (only possible between Brussels and Amsterdam/Cologne).

http://www.thalys.com

If you want to stay flexible an Eurail Benelux-German Pass or a German Rail Pass are still worthwhile options to consider. In these countries you can really hop on and hop off with a rail pass. And the trains are much more frequent than the Busabout buses. And serve much more places.

eurail.com/eurail-passes/…benelux-germany

bahn.com/i/…germanrailpass.shtml

Brisbane...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus about

I feel you are better paying for a bus on the day. From what I've heard busabout is a major rip-off although the people who use don't seem to think so because they are normally novice travellers. If you are really on a budget look at the car pooling options such as bla bla car or especially in Germany mitfahrgelegenheit. Lots of people offer cheap rides to many destinations at many times of the day and they just want somebody to help pay for petrol.

Otherwise there are many bus services throughout Europe which a far more competitive than busabout. I'm on a really tight budget so I use the car pooling which I think is fantastic but otherwise especially in those countries trains are expensive. Look at maybe a Eurail pass if you want freedom.

From city to city you can more or less rock up at the bus station in the morning 8-9 am and be on a bus to your next destination soon with a reasonable price. You could potentially book early and save some money but there is no freedom in that

Good luck

6. Re: Bus about

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2014, 05:16