We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 Days in Southern Germany Itinerary ... comments

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
22 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
10 Days in Southern Germany Itinerary ... comments

planning a trip to Southern Germany for September 2013. This is what I came up with for an itinerary.

-2 days in Munich

Take train to Regensburg and spend 3 days in Regensburg (husband was stationed there back in the 1960's)

Rent a car in Regensburg and drive to Berchestgaden and spend 3 days in Berchestgaden. Spend one of those days driving or bus to Salzburg.

Drive to Garmisch area for 2 days and then

back to Munich for flight home.

I'm thinking it would be better to rent a car for part of the trip to be able to see some of the scenery and convenience of going where and when you want, rather than take the train.

Would really appreciate suggestions and comments.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 Days in Southern Germany Itinerary ... comments

All these areas are well served by train, but if you want to travel by car I guess there is added convenience in that.

It sounds a good itinerary. Berchtesgaden is a great base (Koenigsee/ Mt Jenner/ Ramsau/ Eagles Nest) and if only doing a day trip to Salzburg make sure you have a full day, so much to see. Delightful to wander the old town, the fortress, Mirabell gardens, but it might be better to take the public bus from Berchtesgaden as it only takes 40mins, and parking in Salzburg is tricky, whereas the bus deposits you direct in the old town.

I haven't been there, but Partnachklamm at G-P gets great reviews, plus Alpsitze hikes sound excellent (on my wishlist!)

2. Re: 10 Days in Southern Germany Itinerary ... comments

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2014, 07:15