We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dachau

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
635 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
Dachau

We will be spending two nights about an hour and a half north of Munich and are considering driving down to see Dachau. Can anyone advise us? Can we reasonably see Dachau in a half day visit?

Comments on Dachau?

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Dachau

Yes, you can see Dachau in a half day. Depending on where you will be staying north of Munich, youi can either drive to D. by taking the A-99 By-Pass Autobahn to the exit 10, and then the B-304 to Dachau, or you can take the S-Bahn if you are staying close to a S-Bahn station.

For RR schedules see www.bahn.de

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Dachau

Dachau is definitely worth a visit. It will stay with you.

Linz
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dachau

If you want to go there by public transport, go to

www.mvv-muenchen.de/en

To: KZ-Gedenkstätte Dachau

Just buy a ticket to Dachau from the Ticket machine (or driver), you can use any means of public transport to get there.

More information on the KZ: www.kz-gedenkstaette-dachau.de

Dachau itself is a very beautiful small town...

new jersey
Level Contributor
182 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Dachau

We took a guided tour of Dachau and it was very informative. It was not what I expected as it was a political prison first. I do not want to say too much as it needs to be experienced. It was still very profound trying imagine what the conditions were like and how the people tried to survive. I was very glad I went to visit it as I am Jewish and I was able to see first hand what I had learned about from the time I was a child, making it more real for me. Our tour was 3 hours with travel time. We did feel a little rushed through one of the exhibits as we saw the movie but didn't have a great deal of time to wander in the exhibit itself. I would recommed that it is a worthwhile trip and definitely can be done in a half day visit.