We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travelling to germany in 15 oct 2012

Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Topic
travelling to germany in 15 oct 2012

Hi,

we are planning on a trip to Germany for 10 days. We are intending to visit Berlin, Rottenburg, munich and the South Bavarian alps. Later travelling to Salzburg.

Pls advise if this is viable.

Also, we are a little confuse by the railway passes. Is the germany rail pass sufficient to cover all the travelling to these places?

Also, we are planning another week in switzerland. Travelling to bern, interlaken and finally Zurich. Will be taking a plane home from there.

Is there a value for money railway pass we could purchase?

Pardon me for the ignorant, S-bahn is the rail that runs through out Germany or its like a city train service?

Boppard, Germany
Destination Expert
for Boppard
Level Contributor
2,120 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travelling to germany in 15 oct 2012

An S-Bahn is a city train service found in and around major cities. They are operated by Deutsche Bahn, so rail passes are valid.

Salzburg is both on the Austrian and the German network, so you can use German rail passes on that.

You have to do your math to find out if a Germany rail pass is really worth the money. You could also buiy point-to-point tickets for long distances. These are often discounted if you buy them well in advance, but are then only valid on a specific train/connection.

Inside Bavaria you could use a Bayern ticket for local trains, check out bahn.de/i/…laender-ticket.shtml.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
14,053 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travelling to germany in 15 oct 2012

>We are intending to visit Berlin, Rottenburg, munich and the South Bavarian alps.

Are you absolutely sure you want to go to Rottenburg? There is not really anything touristy there except vicinity to Tübingen (which is quite nice btw). Unless of course you actually want to go to Rothenburg.

Warrington, United...
Level Contributor
65 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: travelling to germany in 15 oct 2012

If you book in advance on the Deutsche bahn website it will most likely be cheaper than a pass. Tickets go on sale 3 months before. With 10 days I'd just split my time between Berlin and Munich. I would spend more time in Berlin but if you would like to see the alps then maybe spend 5 days in each city.

Have a great trip.

Edited: 20 January 2013, 23:53
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: travelling to germany in 15 oct 2012

Thanks for the information!

If we are not visiting Rottenburg, are there any nice area you would recommend? (preferably along the way to Salzburg)

We would like to visit historical places and or unique towns.

Other train from Munich to Salzburg, is there any other way to reach Salzburg from the upper Bavarian(east)?

Understood that the period we are visiting is just off the octoberfest, will there still be any festival or celebration that we could catch?

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
10,337 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: travelling to germany in 15 oct 2012

Rottenburg and Rothenburg are two different towns in different parts of the country. Most tourists visit Rothenburg ob der Tauber, so we assume this is the one you want. However, if you look up connections on the Bahn website, the system will give you connections to the wrong place if you misspell the name.

Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: travelling to germany in 15 oct 2012

Hey,

Thanks for spotting my mis-spelling. Yup, I am refering to Rothenburg ob der Tauber.

Is it possible to cover the city in one and a half day by foot?

comtemplating if we should travel there as it seems to be in opposite direction of Salzburg from Munich. Train rides takes about 4 and a half hours and two transfers

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
14,053 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: travelling to germany in 15 oct 2012

>Is it possible to cover the city in one and a half day by foot?

It is possible to cover the city in about 2 hours by foot, the rest is simply staying overnight and see it quiet and peaceful after all the day trip buses have left.

Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: travelling to germany in 15 oct 2012

Thanks guys for the great help!

9. Re: travelling to germany in 15 oct 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2014, 05:16