We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

confused with kd rhein cruise

Australia
Level Contributor
58 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
confused with kd rhein cruise

hi,

We will be coming from Hamburg.If we want to use kd boats where is the best central place to stay? I would like to stay at Oberwesel gasthaus weingut stahl for one or two nights;;;but is this even possible without a car??Can anyone please explain how they travelled from a boat line or train?What was the taxi fair?

I only want to visit one or two places along the rhein,not hurry from place to place? Does anyone have any itineraries for 4 days?

Also would love to see Heidelberg how would we fit this in?thankyou for reading.

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
3,173 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: confused with kd rhein cruise

We stayed in Oberwesel, at the youth hostel, for two nights, without a car. We took the train from Frankfurt to Oberwesel, then a taxi from the train station to the hostel. I don't remember the fare but it was reasonable. We could have walked it but the climb up was steep.

I don't think a boat stopped at Oberwesel then, so we just took the train one or two stops to the nearest place a boat did stop. Then we took the boat from there, went several hours in one direction, got off the boat and took the train back to Oberwesel. I don't remember all the details but it can definitely be done without a car.

There are other little scenic villages where you would not have to take a taxi from the train or boat. They include St Goar and Bacharach.

Probably others with more experience can give you more info.

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,476 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: confused with kd rhein cruise

"I would like to stay at Oberwesel gasthaus weingut stahl for one or two nights;;;but is this even possible without a car??"

Absolutely - Oberwesel is a lovely place and great for a Rhine base for 4 or 5 nights. Nearby Bacharach or St. Goar work well too. BUT: Gasthaus Weingut Stahl is somewhat inconveniently located in Oberwesel-Dellhofen, a suburb outside of town and away from the train station.

I would suggest looking for an apartment in Oberwesel proper if you can stay there 4-5 nights. Much more convenient. Apartments start on p. 12; be cautious about location:

oberwesel.de/uploads/media/gastgeberverzeich…

Trains run up and down both the Oberwesel side of the river and the opposite bank all day long every hour or better.

Cruise from south to north - with the current - much faster that way.

There are many ways to put together an itinerary. This is just one example.

Cruise day:

You're going after April 5, right? That's when they start up. Boats stop in Oberwesel, but to see the most, start in Bingen, south of Oberwesel. From Oberwesel, a train ride to Bingen Stadt station (Bingen Hbf station means a longer walk to thee docks) takes around 30 minutes. Walk north to the docks from there.

The 9:26 train from O'wesel arrives in Bingen at 9:57 in plenty of time for the 10:30 boat (which runs from April 27 and on.) Cruise north from there to Boppard (2.3 hours) and you'll see the best part of the Rhine. Boppard is a nice town to explore too. Return to O'wesel by train (remember, they run every hour or better) and visit Bacharach by train that afternoon (10 minutes to the south of O'wesel.)

#1 Train outing some other day: visit Braubach, south of Koblenz , and tour Marksburg Castle; take the train to Linz (north of Koblenz) to see what might be the prettiest town on the Rhine.

#2 Train outing some other day: visit Cochem on the Mosel River. See the falconry show at Reichsburg Castle and/or do the chairlift ride. Stop in St. Goar on the way back to visit Marksburg Castle.

#3 Train outing some other day: return up the Mosel River to Moselkern for a hike to Burg Eltz; in the late afternoon, pay a visit to Koblenz' old town area on the way back.

Train outings # 1-3 can be done by train with a 3-day VRM mini-group ticket: It's 42.40€ for 2-5 people.

vrminfo.de/en/…

Cruise day trains: Get a Rheinland-Pfalz ticket (another daypass) for the trains you'll use on cruise day (26€ for two.) This daypass is about the same cost as for regular train tickets, but it's convenient, you can use it for additional impromptu travel that day if you wish, and you get a 20% discount on the cruise by showing this ticket.

vrminfo.de/en/…

Can anyone please explain how they travelled from a boat line or train?What was the taxi fair?

I only want to visit one or two places along the rhein,not hurry from place to place? Does anyone have any itineraries for 4 days?

Edited: 28 January 2013, 02:58
Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,476 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: confused with kd rhein cruise

Sorry about my error under #2 Train outing above - that's RHEINFELS castle in St. Goar, not Marksburg.

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,476 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: confused with kd rhein cruise

And the apartments (Ferienwohnungen) start on p.32 of the actual Oberwesel brochure - page 12 as you scroll down on your screen.

Australia
Level Contributor
58 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: confused with kd rhein cruise

Thankyou so much for your detailed replies.I should have stated before we are going in the off-season early October,will the boats be available then from places. I have tried to understand their timetable and I go crosseyed!

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
10,066 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: confused with kd rhein cruise

Due to the long weekend around the public holiday on Oct 3 which is a Thursday, and the season of wine harvest, new wine and wine festivals, early October is not exactly off-season but a rather busy period. Book your accommodation in time.

k-d do not yet have the 2013 timetables online. In 2012 their peak season lasted until Oct 3, shoulder season from Oct 4.

By the way, there is a wine festival in Boppard that weekend - should be worth checking out.

7. Re: confused with kd rhein cruise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2014, 06:17