We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train options for Germany/Belgium/Netherlands

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Train options for Germany/Belgium/Netherlands

I am coordinating a trip for a large group (30 people) in May. We will be arriving by plane in Amsterdam. From there we will be travelling to Oberhausen, Cologne, Brussels and then back to Amsterdam to fly home. We arrive on a Friday afternoon and depart Sunday afternoon for a total of 9 nights. We will be travelling by train but I am completely overwhelmed/confused by all of the available choices online so I have a couple of questions that hopefully those of you familiar with European trains can help me with.

1. Is it cheaper to buy online ahead of time or should I wait until we arrive in Amsterdam?

2. Should I look into a pass or purchase the individual legs of the journey separately?

3. Should I try to get group rates...half the group are students.

Thanks in advance!

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train options for Germany/Belgium/Netherlands

Hi.

Generally speaking:

1. It is usually cheaper to buy tickets online if you purchase the "Savings Fare." Note, however, that you MUST ride the specific train(s) that you booked. If you miss it, there's no refund and you have to buy a standard fare ticket. Also, you cannot buy an online ticket until 92 days before your departure date (the earliest buyers get the cheapest fares).

2. Rail passes are usually considerably more expensive than individual legs.

3. The German railway system does offer group rates:

bahn.de/i/…group-discount.shtml

Read the tab labeled "Conditions" for more details (you can buy group tickets up to 6 months in advance).

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,540 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train options for Germany/Belgium/Netherlands

For Brussels to Amsterdam tickets you might need to book via www.nshispeed.nl which the Dutch railway site

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Train options for Germany/Belgium/Netherlands

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated!

4. Re: Train options for Germany/Belgium/Netherlands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 March 2014, 05:15