We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reims, France to Amsterdam via the Mosel River and Koln...

Gunma Prefecture...
Level Contributor
114 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Reims, France to Amsterdam via the Mosel River and Koln...

Hello, my bf and I will be traveling in late March/early April and want to swing around the Mosel river valley to Koln/Cologne on our way from Reims, France to Amsterdam. I'm trying to figure out a good itinerary and the best places to spend the night in the area, and could use a bit of advice!

First, we wont be renting a car, so our journey will be mostly by train. We'd like to do the river cruise from Cochem to Koblenz, but it seems to be the off season and I can't find anything available. Are there any places that have off-season tours? If not, how is the train ride from Cochem to Koblenz? Could/should we get off anywhere to see a few sights?

Basically, my itinerary goes something like this:

3/30 Paris to Reims, France (train)

*3/31 Either stay an extra night in Reims, or stay in Luxembourg; by train

4/01 Either Reims to Cochem via Luxembourg (spend some time in Lux.), or Luxembourg to Cochem; night in Cochem either way.

4/02 Cochem to Koln/Cologne via Koblenz. Should we spend any time in Koblenz, or just go strait to Koln/Cologne?

4/03 Koln/Cologne to Amsterdam (night in Amsterdam already booked).

Basically I'm having trouble deciding a few things. First, whether to spend an extra night in Reims, or to spend it in Luxembourg. The way the trains are, we have to go through Luxembourg either way in order to hit Cochem, so we could just spend a few hours there I think and still enjoy it.

Second, what to do and where to spend the night in the Mosel river area, especially since if the river cruises aren't running, if there is a better way to see the area or if we should just skip it and hit other places in Germany entirely. I haven't booked any rooms yet in Germany, nor the one in Reims, so I'm really flexible right now and open to advice!

Sorry for the long post, but any help is much appreciated! Thanks!

Jess

Boppard, Germany
Destination Expert
for Boppard
Level Contributor
1,832 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reims, France to Amsterdam via the Mosel River and Koln...

You will be travelling over Easter, so the shops and some other places will be closed on 31/03 and 01/04. On the other hand, places like Cochem will bew full of people taking a break over the long weekend.

You should be able to do a short cruise from Cochem to Beilstein. Another nice stopping-off point between Luxembourg and Cochem would be Trier .

The train ride ffrom Cochem to Koblenz follows the river all the way. There are many more interesting places in the Mosel valley (eg. Burg Eltz, Zell, Traben-Trarbach, Bernkastel-Kues), but they are more difficult to reach by public transport.

Gunma Prefecture...
Level Contributor
114 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reims, France to Amsterdam via the Mosel River and Koln...

@detbo, thank you for your reply, and also the reminder about Easter... I forgot about that! Are there any Easter celebrations in the area we could see?

Also, are there any places that you mentioned above (Burg Eltz, etc.) that could be reached by bike, if we stopped close to them? I see a lot of websites with bike rentals or even bike tours of the Mosel. However I'm not sure about the weather during that time.

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,261 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reims, France to Amsterdam via the Mosel River and Koln...

In Cochem, tours of Reichsburg Castle (and the falconry show) will be operational, as will the chairlift.

http://www.burg-cochem.de/

www.cochemer-sesselbahn.de/en/index.htm

Falconry photos and hours (in German): falknerei-reichsburg-cochem.de/flugvorfuhrun… (Show is dark Mondays but on Easter Monday I suspect the birds will be flying.)

I don't think cruises to Beilsten will be in the mix yet, at least not according to the Kolb schedule. The Kolb line does operate a 1-hour loop cruise - no docking elsewhere - in the immediate area of Cochem beginning Easter weekend - scroll down about 1/3 of the way on this page:

www.kolb-mosel.com/en/schedules-region.php…

("Tours/Moselle return journeys Cochem & surroundings")

Since from Reims you wouldn't arrive in Cochem until afternoon, it might be better to stay over in much closer Luxembourg the night prior if you hope to have time for Cochem. And on 4/2, I suggest you skip Koblenz and spend what remains of your day in Cologne.

Edited: 03 February 2013, 12:04
4. Re: Reims, France to Amsterdam via the Mosel River and Koln...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 February 2014, 07:15