We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip idea, workable?

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
425 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Trip idea, workable?

Planning a trip for probably late October, early November. I will leave on a tue flight back on a Sunday, 13 days 11, non travel days.

We would arrive in either Brussels or Amsterdam, two nights there.

Friday take the train to Köln, spend three nights there, using as a base to go to a soccer game in Dortmund or surrounding area, (Gelsenkirchen, Gladbach, depending on who is in town, hopefully Dortmund), enjoy Köln and or a day trip to Achen(other close town? I have been to Aachen, my wife hasn't)

After we would like to get to the Mosel/Rhine, haven't explored this part of Germany, any idea for a base town? Can this be seen well by train, our preference, but if this region is best seen by car, so be it? We would like for this part of the trip to be in smaller quaint towns. Would two nights work, or should we plan 3?

Next we would like to explore SW Germany, would Freiburg am Breisgau be a good base? Does it have a lively atmosphere?

Somewhere along this route we would like to go again to Baden-Baden, not necessarily to even stay a night but to go to Freirichsbad (Sic?) and lunch in the town, one of the greatest experiences IMO. Is it easy to get to Tübingen from Freiburg by train?

The final Friday/Sat would love to be near a city to fly back state side and maybe catch a Football(soccer match), before flying home on a Sunday?

(München or Frankfurt area, other?)

I know I am asking a lot of questions, any nice monasteries in any of these areas e could check out, a community that still gets together for chanted prayer? (Does Beuron or Maria Laach fit that?) Thanks!

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,691 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip idea, workable?

Maybe you could fly Delta/KLM into AMS ant out of Stuttgart. Maybe when in Aachen it would be best to stay the night, rather than go back north to Cologne and south again to the Mosel. I think you would see more and have a more relaxed time on the Mosel with a car, there are some lovely villages to look around that do not have great public transport. You could pick a car up in Aachen and drop it on the way to Freiburg or even in Freiburg with a stop in Baden Baden on the way

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
425 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip idea, workable?

Thanks, I forget Stuttgart could be an option, I always tend to think of Frankfurt & Munich.

3. Re: Trip idea, workable?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2014, 06:17