We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving itinerary in may.. Help needed

Texas
Level Contributor
59 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Driving itinerary in may.. Help needed

My husband and I are planning a driving trip in Germany in may, neither of us has been there. We are history buffs and like small towns and would really like to get a feel for the country. The tentative itinerary I planned goes like this : day 1& 2 fly into dusseldorf, get acclimated , pick up car and drive to oberwessel.. Use as base for day trip on Rhine and visit to Heidelberg (3 nights total). Drive to Rothenberg, 3 nights there, use as base for visiting Nuremberg. Drive to Munich, 3 nights there, see dachau. Then drive to dresden, one night there, turn in car and take train to berlin, 2 nights in Berlin.

What am I missing? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,546 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving itinerary in may.. Help needed

It seems a shame to only have 2 nights in Berlin but 3 in Rothenberg.

Rothenberg is a very pretty town but it is completely overun with tourists, it feels a bit like a theme park. This might be an option for a night

.http://www.dinkelsbuehl.de/ISY/index.php?call=home or Bad Wimpfen near Heidelberg.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,746 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving itinerary in may.. Help needed

That's quite a lot of ground you are trying to cover in a short time.

First, allow me to mention that Rothenberg has neither tourists nor prettiness nor anything to see. RothenBERG is a small village in the Odenwald hills. The place you are talking about is named RothenBURG, exactly: Rothenburg ob der Tauber. Use the correct name when programming your GPS or you're in for a surprise...

Heidelberg as a day trip from the Rhine gorge means wasting quite a lot of precious time on the road, it is not exactly nearby. Either stay overnight, or spend more time along the Rhine - there is more than enough to do and see for two days.

Even more: cut out Dresden. As much as I love the city, but you don't have enough time. The drive from Munich to Dresden consumes the best of a day, and then you spend one night there and leave again for Berlin - that's far too rushed. Better add that day to Berlin. Two full days (3 nights) are still very short for Berlin. You could even dump the car upon arrival in Munich as you don't need it in the city anyway, and then take the train to Berlin which is faster than any car could be on that route.

Princes Risborough...
Level Contributor
39 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving itinerary in may.. Help needed

Bamberg for 3 nights. Stay at Pension Weierich .Do not miss Bamberg. Visit Nuremberg from it.

Regensberg, Augsburg.

Bodensee. Meersburg

Fussen

Agree about Dinkelsbuehl.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,746 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving itinerary in may.. Help needed

Again the same problem... RegensBERG is a castle ruin in Northern Switzerland. The city on the Danube is named RegensBURG.

Texas
Level Contributor
59 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving itinerary in may.. Help needed

Thanks for all the advice. Now we have decided to spend at least 3 nights in Berlin and at most 1night in rothenBURG. Still not sure about Dresden. We are also looking at Bamberg as was suggested.

6. Re: Driving itinerary in may.. Help needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2014, 06:15