We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Germany during Easter

Basel, Switzerland
Level Contributor
102 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Germany during Easter

Hi,

Here is what we have tentatively planned. Travelling from Basel and renting a car.

Day 1: Leave Basel, drive to Munich

Day 2&3 : Munich

Day 4: Do a day trip to Salzburg, what are the 'must see places in the city?'

Day 5: Drive to Berlin, with a stop in Dresden, maybe walk around town and have lunch there

Day 6, 7, 8: Berlin

Day 9: Drive back to Basel

In keeping with this plan, what are the must see places in Munich and Salzburg? Any other points that need taking care of?

Thanks.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
10,322 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Germany during Easter

Day 5: Dresden is a notable detour and that means about 8-9 hours on the road that day. As much as I love Dresden, it does not fit into your itinerary. Dresden needs more than two or three hours. If you want a stopover, pick a place which is on your way, for example Bamberg.

There is absolutely no need to bother with the hassle of driving for this itinerary. ICE trains are faster and more convenient for transport between the cities. Wihtin the cities the car is of no use anyway.

Your profile says you live in Zürich. Going to Munich via Basel is another unnecessary detour.

Basel, Switzerland
Level Contributor
102 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Germany during Easter

Hi,

Sorry updated my profile to 'Basel' :-)

Ok, thanks about Dresden. What about Lepzig? If nothing works, we could go straight to Berlin.

Driving idea was because we are 4, one adult is from the US so no reductions and ICE trains are expensive then. Plus we have 2 kids so we thought car might be more convinient.

Thanks for your reply.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
10,322 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Germany during Easter

It is quite a long drive. Leipzig is surely an interesting destination. You will not have much time for your stopover, though, reason to pick a smaller destination. There are already two large cities on your list which were heavily destoryed in World War II and rebuilt in mostly post-war style, so I would not add a third. Limiting themselves to nothing but large cities is a common mistake among overseas visitors. The biggest spots on the map are not necessarily the best. It's the smaller towns and very few cities that have preserved their authentic old centres. Bamberg is one of them. Weimar or Naumburg are other good options on your way that can be covered in a few hours.

Basel, Switzerland
Level Contributor
102 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Germany during Easter

Yes true.

I looked up google maps and it gives me a rough estimate of 6hrs to Berlin. I might decide Nüremberg, as its on the way. I agree with you about major cities and the lesser known smaller towns.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
10,322 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Germany during Easter

Well - Nürnberg is neither a small town nor "lesser known" - again, you'd need more time. A few hours are better than nothing but require some tough choices and limitations in a city this size.

Viamichelin gives me 6:20 hours driving time from Munich to Berlin, and 7:40 via Dresden. This applies only if the roads are clear, which they rarely are. Add at least an hour extra for congestions, construction sites and other kinds of traffic jams, and time for the inevitable "pit stops".

Bautzen, Germany
Level Contributor
814 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Germany during Easter

I agree with Blandine: stay away from the big cities on your way from Munich to Berlin. They were a) destroyed in WW2 and aren't *that* beautiful anymore and b) with a car you simply need much more time to get to the centre of the city.

Blandine already mentioned Bamberg, Weimar and Naumburg, which I would recommend too. The Dessau-Wörlitz Garden Realm, which is the first English park on the continent and today a World Heritage Site, would be a nice stop too. Or how about Wittenberg. It's a small, preserved town and you could see the houses of Luther, Melanchthon and Cranach, or the castle church were Luther nailed his 95 theses. Wittenberg is also a World Heritage Site... oh, and Bamberg and Weimar too.

Edited: 26 February 2013, 11:19
Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,925 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Germany during Easter

I do not know which days you are driving but afternoon on Thurs 28th and the next day Good Friday will have alot of traffic jams. As will Easter Monday.

Basel, Switzerland
Level Contributor
102 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Germany during Easter

Ok, so I checked up the fares on SBB and DB.

SBB Offer

Fri 22:

Basel to Berlin

9.13pm – 7.40am

CHF164 – sleeperette

DB : 198 euros

Berlin – münich

SBB 147CHF

DB 121euro

Münich – basel

Sbb: 192

Db: 158euros

¨

With SBB it comes to a total of CHF500 and with DB it is about CHF570. How much would a rental cost for the whole trip? And would it still be better to take the train(are these fares reasonable?)

Thanks again.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,925 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Germany during Easter

If that rail price is for all four of you then it seems ok. A car will be some €250 for a week plus fuel . You may well end up with limited free kms often 2100 and your plans seem to come to more

10. Re: Germany during Easter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2014, 05:16