We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

German Rail Pass vs. Bahn Card 25

Los Angeles...
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
German Rail Pass vs. Bahn Card 25

My husband and I are visiting Germany in May for 10 days and I'm trying to weigh out the most inexpensive option if I'm planning to visit these places:

(prices below are for 2 people round trip)

Munich to Salzburg

Savings fare 58€, Standard 140€

Munich to Goppingen

Savings fare 58€, Standard 184€

Munich to Fussen

Savings fare 26€, Standard 98€

The "Savings" fare listed on bahn.com indicates I need to purchase a Bahn Card 25. But when I read about the Bahn Card 25, it indicates it only gives a 25% discount, but how can it be that from 140 euros it can go down to 58 euros? Can someone help me clear up this confusion?

My other question is, if I get a 6-day German Rail Pass, do I need to use it on consecutive days or can I pick and choose which days I use it, as long as it's within 6 days?

Thank you!

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,962 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: German Rail Pass vs. Bahn Card 25

> The "Savings" fare listed on bahn.com indicates I need to purchase a Bahn Card 25.

You're interpreting this wrong. A BahnCard 25 gives also 25% discount on the savings fares for long distance trains. While the BahnCard 50 and 100 do not.

The savings fares for long distance trains are discounted special you can get if you buy in advance. They are limited in numbers and will be sold out sooner or later.

EUR 29 is the cheapest such special for 2 persons. Thus the EUR 58 return.

The savings fare for Munich to Füssen is however a Bayern Ticket which is only valid for regional trains. But does on the other side cover all local public transport in Munich and also the buses from Füssen to Hohenschwangau (which I assume is anyway for final destination).

www.toytowngermany.com/wiki/Bayern_ticket

Bayern Ticket covers also Munich to Salzburg if you use regional trains. There are also offers for Munich to Göppingen if you stick to regional trains. Bayern Ticket and other specials for regional trains are on weekdays only valid past 9am. Which is not ideal for a day trip. But they are cheap. And they are always available and can be bought on spot.

If you want to see these offers for the trips to Salzburg and Göppingen select as means of transport "only local transport".

German Rail Passes are not consecutive. It's any 6 days inside a period of 1 month.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,363 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: German Rail Pass vs. Bahn Card 25

Note, that if you buy a BahnCard 25, immediately cancel it upon purchase. Otherwise, in another year they will automatically renew it and issue and charge you for a new card if you haven't meanwhile canceled it. So it's best to cancel it immediately so that you don't forget.

E C
Lynnfield...
Level Contributor
55 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: German Rail Pass vs. Bahn Card 25

I also just went through this mental exercise in trying to figure out the best pass to buy for our trip in May. I think I came up with the best one (but I wouldn't bet my life on it) for us. It is the German Twin Rail Pass. I've already spent too much time trying to figure out the cost of trips using various passes vs individual tickets, etc. I figured the heck with it & just called I think it is Budget Europe. I will get back to you on that. The gentleman was helpful & he also came up with the same pass as I thought might be best for us. I don't know if he is privy to all passes, but at this point I don't want to deal with that aspect of the trip anymore.

E C
Lynnfield...
Level Contributor
55 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: German Rail Pass vs. Bahn Card 25

Yan8899 - The site I was referring to is www.budgeteuropetravel.com. Hopefully it will be helpful to you.

Los Angeles...
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: German Rail Pass vs. Bahn Card 25

Thanks everyone for the info, it really helped!

I think I may opt for the Germany Rail Pass too, they're doing a promotion so for 6-days it's $398 for a twin pass. Since it doesn't have to be consecutive days, I'll check my itinerary for the days I'll be going long distance and use it for that.

I think it'll be easier to just hop on a train with the pass and not have to reserve tickets and spend the extra time to figure things out at the train station. In a sense, the rail pass saves time.

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
3,000 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: German Rail Pass vs. Bahn Card 25

I really like using the Bayern or Bavaria pass. It's essentially a day pass for the regional or slow trains in Bavaria, and valid after 9 a.m. during the week and all day on weekends. It's only 26 Euros (total, for 2 people) per day. You don't have to reserve tickets or seats either.

7. Re: German Rail Pass vs. Bahn Card 25

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2014, 05:16