We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Online tickets - do the attendants verfiy your credit card?

Timbuktu, Mali
Level Contributor
125 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Online tickets - do the attendants verfiy your credit card?

I've bought online tickets through bahn.com using a credit card that was recently replaced during to some unauthorised transactions.

I've gotten a replacement since and naturally the credit card number is different.

Does anyone know if the train attendants insist on verifying the credit card that was use to purchase tickets, or will an alternate ID do?

According to the text on the online ticket it says:

"During ticket inspection on the train, the train attendant will read the identification card and the barcode into his control device. Please present the ticket and your valid BahnCard, EC/credit card or your ID card to the train attendant of your own accord."

Edited: 13 March 2013, 23:29
Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,006 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Online tickets - do the attendants verfiy your credit card?

In my experience - yes. Take the old card with you even if it's no good. If you don't have it anymore, contact DB for instructions: bahn.com/i/…contact.shtml

Timbuktu, Mali
Level Contributor
125 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Online tickets - do the attendants verfiy your credit card?

Well I don't have the card any more and yes I've written to them for advice :)

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Online tickets - do the attendants verfiy your credit card?

The "small print" says that the ID is the credit card to which the ticket was charged. In other words, it is the old card. Yes, I have had my ID (credit card) card checked in the ICE train from Berlin to Munich . I suggest that you get a letter in English from your card issuing bank certifying that your card has been replaced. and - if you still happen to have a paper copy of your old card or an old statement of charges on the old card, bring these along as well . Then pray that the conductor understands English, which is very likely. .

Timbuktu, Mali
Level Contributor
125 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Online tickets - do the attendants verfiy your credit card?

I called the credit card company and they suggested that I print the statements which show the last four digits of the card. This I have done. Also expecting a letter in the post to confirm the reversal of all unauthorised transactions although it may not specifically mention the replacement of the old card.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,401 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Online tickets - do the attendants verfiy your credit card?

Of course they check the credit cards (or whatever ID has been registered) together with every online ticket.

Your credit card company's advice is not sufficient. You need not the last four digits but the complete number of the old credit card. They can enter this number by hand into the electronic device which verifies the ticket and ID card.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,309 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Online tickets - do the attendants verfiy your credit card?

It's not that they just visually check the number they do indeed put the card through a machine, so see what DB replies. They must have some kind of protocol for such contingencies.

Having cards replaced after you have made a transaction online is a nuisance; I had a hotel booking at Niagara Falls cancelled by Embassy Suites because the credit-card info didn't tie up with the booking (when they put it though the system the morning before our arrival) That was not even a change of card-mumber, just that the expiry date was later because I had received a new chip/PIN card from the bank in the meantime.

Timbuktu, Mali
Level Contributor
125 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Online tickets - do the attendants verfiy your credit card?

I hope so and post an update if/when I get a reply. The only proof of purchase I have now is the card statement which shows the last four digits of the previous card.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,421 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Online tickets - do the attendants verfiy your credit card?

They swipe your credit card when you have an online ticket to make sure there is only one 'copy' of that ticket being used.

I bought a ticket last year for my OH and I to travel from Worms to Munich. At the last minute our daughter's employer gave her a couple of days leave so I went online to buy her a ticket to come with us - and forgetting the need for the CC holder to travel, made it a return ticket.

When I realised/remembered this I also realised she may have trouble using the return portion as we were heading on to Nuremberg after Munich.

At the Bahn office at Munich Hbf the lady explained that the credit card holder had to be present but in our case if my daughter travelled without us she would have to explain why, and possibly pay a fine. Once Bahn had established that no-one else had used her ticket her fine would probably be refunded. Aparently this is to reduce scamming where people buy one ticket on a credit card and then print out multiple copies of the eticket.

9. Re: Online tickets - do the attendants verfiy your credit card?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2014, 05:17