We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Base City for the Harz Mountains

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Base City for the Harz Mountains

I am planning a 2 night stay in the Harz Mountains as part of longer trip to Germany. Which city the Harz Mountains region would make for the best base? I have been trying to decide between Quedlinburg and Wernigergode, but would be open to any suggestions you might have. I'd like to find a nice, possibly historic place to stay in whatever city we choose, so if you have any suggestions regarding places to stay, that'd be great too! Thanks so much!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
876 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Base City for the Harz Mountains

I've been looking at the region, too (haven't been yet, though, so not personal experience) and either Goslar or Quedlinburg comes up as a good base.

(And maybe you could post a trip report after your trip and let us know what you think...)

Bautzen, Germany
Level Contributor
814 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Base City for the Harz Mountains

Quedlinburg if your main goal is to stay in a centuries-old house in a medieval, romantic town. Wernigerode if you also want to explore one or two other towns (Quedlinburg + Goslar) and ride the steam train up to the highest peak of the mountains. Goslar if you stay for longer and want to explore the many other towns of the region.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,316 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Base City for the Harz Mountains

Wernigerode is the most convenient for public transport, since it is one in the middle and, as Martin said, the starting point for the Brocken railway. I highly recommend going up if the weather cooperates. Goslar, Quedlinburg and Wernigerode are all equally worth visiting. Two nights = one full day and two half days are quite short to hit all four, so you'll have to see how many destinations you can fit in.

Germany
Level Contributor
2,625 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Base City for the Harz Mountains

Another vote for Wernigerode. It's more centrally located, as was pointed out previously, and I thought it was overall better restored than Quedlinburg. Also, it's called the "colourful" town, meaning that the timber-framed houses are often painted in friendly colours, unlike the black-white appearance in most other towns, which makes for a friendlier ambience IMO.

I stayed at Gothisches Haus, an upscale 4star plus hotel. If it is in your budget then go for it - excellent food also.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Base City for the Harz Mountains

Thanks everyone! Looks like it is going to be Wernigerode!

6. Re: Base City for the Harz Mountains

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 March 2014, 06:17