We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dresden/Saxon Switzerland

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Dresden/Saxon Switzerland

We are going to be in Dresden for 2.5 days in May. We have most of the time planned seeing the main sights in Dresden, but the pictures from Saxon Switzerland look absolutely amazing, and I would really like to be able to see the Bastei. We will have an older relative with us who will not be able to hike very much, so I wasn't sure if the Bastei would even be a possibility. We will have a rental car, but I am not sure how close you can get in a car. If that is not a possibility, maybe you have some alternative sights in the area easily accessible by car? I am a photographer, so I am always interested in new sights that would make for some cool pictures. Thanks so much for your help!

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Dresden/Saxon Switzerland

There is a parking lot at the entrance to the park, and nearby one or two retsaurants.. Taking the whole trail requires quite a bit of walking, but there are a few interesting sights pretty much at the beginning, with little walking. And while the rest of you take the whole walk, your older relative can sit in the terrace restaurant and have an excellent cake (Kuchen) and coffee..

Since you have a car, also consider driving up to the parking lot of the Koenigstein Castle and take the shuttle to the elevator that takes you to the castle gorunds. Again, on the way back, the rest of your party can take the nice walk from castle down to

the parking lot. This is a historically very interesting castle, and it offers wonderful views of the Swiss Saxony countryside and the Elbe river.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,307 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Dresden/Saxon Switzerland

You can drive there from the upper side, not from the valley but from the hills, and arrive at the top, park there, and walk the few steps to the viewing platform on more or less even ground. There is also a restaurant/cafe up there where you can "park" your relative while the rest of the party walks down to the bridge. I can't tell you the exact details of that route, though - we need Eagle for that and I think he'll look in here tomorrow.

Germany
Level Contributor
2,625 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dresden/Saxon Switzerland

Both Treplow and Blandine are absolutely right. The problem with the parking lot right at Bastei (hotel), however, is that it is relatively small - so, if you visit on a holiday or weekend and the weather is great, then you may find that parking lot full, it can even be officially closed and you must park a mile earlier. From there a shuttle bus runs to Bastei very frequently, so this should not be a big problem then.

Please note that the best time to visit Bastei is either in early morning or in late afternoon. Otherwise you look right into direction of the sun, which is not best for pictures, as you certainly know.

So, my suggestion is to start the excursion on the other side of the river, drive via Pirna to Königstein, from there via smaller roads (great view back toward the fortress Königstein) to Pfaffendorf and continue to Bad Schandau. Spend some time in this spa town, maybe walk along the river promenade (beautiful views upstream), drive to Altendorf - Lichtenhain - Sebnitz (the panoramic road with viewpoints), from there via picturesque town Hohnstein and the serpentine road to Bastei. This would take most of the day, if you plan accordingly you could be at Bastei in late afternoon, maybe even shortly before sunset. Drive back to Dresden via Pirna, but don't cross the river, follow the smaller road via Graupa and Pillnitz instead if it is NOT dark yet.

4. Re: Dresden/Saxon Switzerland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 March 2014, 04:16