We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Early September in Bavaria (pre-Octoberfest)

Alta Loma...
5 posts
Save Topic
Early September in Bavaria (pre-Octoberfest)

Wandering how the crowds are in Munich and small Alpine towns in early September. My wife and I would like to visit Bier Gartens in Munich, and would like to stay in a small town for a couple of days to soak up the atmosphere. We don't like crowds and would like to keep the visit as German as possible. Towns considering, Garmisch, Mittenwald,Fussen?

Bainbridge Island...
Level Contributor
76 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Early September in Bavaria (pre-Octoberfest)

Munich isn't too bad (Compared to other popular cities in Europe) and is a very nice walkable city. It is crowded at the main train station and a little in the downtown area. I'm returning again this summer and staying a bit longer so we can see the nymphenburg palace :)

Fussen is a neat little town, especially if you are going to Ludwig's castles. In the past I've daytripped it, but this time we are going to stay overnight and soak up the place. (2 hour train ride from Munich, depart every hour)

Garmisch is nice, though when I went many years ago, we had a car and it was storming. We much preferred Berchesgarden and a side trip to Salzburg. I can't comment on Mittenwald:) Many Bier gardens in Munich and most cities has something similiar (though smaller) My last visit to Munich was my first to the Hofbrauhaus, needless to say, we're going again. It was super fun.

Alta Loma...
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Early September in Bavaria (pre-Octoberfest)

Danka. I appreciate your view. Good to know.

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
3,100 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Early September in Bavaria (pre-Octoberfest)

Mittenwald is beautiful. I prefer it to Garmisch, just because Mittenwald is smaller.

If you plan to have a car, you might be able to find one of the festivals in which the cows are brought down from the mountain pastures for the winter. It might be crowded but it would be unique. The festival is called an almabtrieb and they are on various weekends in September.

Alta Loma...
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Early September in Bavaria (pre-Octoberfest)

Thank you for your ideas.

5. Re: Early September in Bavaria (pre-Octoberfest)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 April 2014, 06:16