We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fossil Hunting in Bavaria

Portland, Oregon
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Fossil Hunting in Bavaria

I am bringing my family to Germany (staying in Munich) from July 16-22, 2013. I have a rough outline of our trip, and a few questions to ask readers. This one is about fossils. We plan to spend one day fossil hunting, near Solnhofen. I've located one place in Munich that can rent me an automatic transmission car, and I would now like advice on where to go. Every article I find in English regarding legal, public dig sites in the region say they exist, but they don't share specifics like name, etc. so I can look up directions or hours or fees. If anyone out there has gone fossil hunting in the area, I'd love to hear from you. We are amature fossil hunters, but we love it and we are respectful. The best site for us would allow us to come away with at least one small find, and the site would be suited to a family with a kid (ours is 8). Thanks!

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
10,322 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Fossil Hunting in Bavaria

http://www.solnhofen.de/index.php?id=0,140

The website is in German but an online translator might help. There is also an e-mail address linked at the bottom which belongs to the tourist office of Solnhofen; there you can enquire.

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
3,279 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fossil Hunting in Bavaria

We have done this, and it was great fun! We went to the public quarry near Eichstaett six years ago. We took the bus from Eichstaett -- directions according to my guidebook "Let's Go Germany," which might be out of date, say to take the bus from the Eichstaett Domplatz (in front of the Raiffeisenbank) to the "Kinderdorf" stop. We rented hammers and chisels there for about 2 Euros each. I don't remember what the entrance fee was, if anything. It's a big place, with lots of people splitting open chunks of stone. We found lots of fern fossils and even one small fish one. My daughter was ten at the time and had a great time. Advice if you do this: take a hat if it's sunny, and take a big water bottle. If you did this, you could even stay in Eichstaett for the night. It's a rather pretty place, on a river with lots of paved bike paths. We also rented bikes and went exploring along the bike path, and found several Roman forts.

This is what I could find on line. The second one is in German but you can see the hours and map. My German isn't that great but it looks like admission is 5 Euros per family and hours are 9:30 - 6:00 p.m.

http://home.arcor.de/ktdykes/quarry.html

mamilade.de/steinbruch/blumenberg/eichstaett…

3. Re: Fossil Hunting in Bavaria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2014, 06:17