We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

vacation in june

Ocean Grove, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
vacation in june

My husband & I are traveling to Germany in June. Our son is studying in Frankfurt. Our plans are flying in to Frankfurt. Picking up car and son and heading to Berlin for 3 nights. We have booked an apt in the Mitte area. On Mon, we will send our son back to school by train. Then, we are thinking of heading down to Munich/Bavaria for the week. On Fri, we will head back to Frankfurt to spend the weekend with our son and check out Frankfurt and the area of Hesse. We have booked an apt for 4 nts in the Sachsenhausen section.

My first question is whether it is best to book in Munich for four nights or split it up some how. We do like cities but I am afraid we may miss the flavor of Germany if we are only in cities. We also enjoy hiking, beer, German sausages, architecture,& music.

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: vacation in june

Hi,

I suggest you rethink how you plan on getting around given your destinations.

I've not yet been to Berlin, but I have been to Munich several times and having a car in either city can be an expensive hindrance. Finding parking is a chore and, unless your apartment / hotel has parking (which you'll likely have to pay for) it may not be worth having a car in either city. Mass transit is great in Germany.

I would recommend taking the train from Frankfurt to Berlin and from Berlin to Munich. You may consider dropping a night from Munich and then renting a car to drive west through southern Bavaria to the Black Forest and then up to Frankfurt from there. That will give you the rural German experience that's otherwise lacking from your trip.

This route may work:

http://goo.gl/maps/RfUMj

That route will take you past Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau castles.

http://www.neuschwanstein.de/englisch/palace/

I've not been there, but many others in this forum speak highly of Tubingen as a place to visit and spend the night en route.

http://www.tuebingen.de/en

Enjoy your trip.

Zed

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,794 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: vacation in june

I'd stay with your 4 nights in Munich - you can always do day trips to places like Salzburg or Neuschwanstein to get a taste of some fantastic scenery. Lots of things to do in Munich and plenty of beer, wurst and music too

I also llike the idea of being in the one place for a few days - it gives you time to just 'be' and absorb the city rather than rushing to pack, check-out, move, check-in etc.

Ocean Grove, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: vacation in june

Ok zed1958, so now I am rethinking the transportation. The more that I have been reading, I am now inclined to take the train from Frankfurt to Berlin and then Berlin to Munich. Since we want to see surrounding areas, I am thinking that we will get the car in Munich for a trip to Saltzburg one day and the King ludwick castles another day.

Secondly, I am subtracting one day form Munich and using it for a stop between Munich and Frankfurt. Maybe Rothenburg

Next problem that I am having is where to stay in Munich. I was able to get a reasonably priced self catering in Berlin and Frankfurt but can't seem to get a good price for the Old City of Munich. Is that important? Are there other good areas that would be centrally located enough to see the city but still take the two day trips that I planned?

Thanks for you help!

4. Re: vacation in june

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 May 2014, 06:18