We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DB Bahn - Do Not recommend Booking on their website

Calgary
Level Contributor
15 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
DB Bahn - Do Not recommend Booking on their website

FARKEN BAD fahrkartenservice!!!!

I would definitely recommend against using this web site for booking rail trips. The site is extremely vague on 'hidden charges' if you make an error and need to make even a minor change. I am an experienced travel planner and needed to change a small leg of a multi-leg trip. In trying to make the change, I was charged 3 x for my trip. Here is the note I received back from their "Customer Service" when I contacted them minutes after I realized the error that was made....

" Changes are simply not possible after booking and the cancellation fees are not hidden - only more expensive after booking City Night Line trains. The attached customer sheets belong to the two orders which are not cancelled and on their way to (You)."

So I have purchased 3 sets of train tickets for my families Europe trip from DB Bahn because I was mislead on the website about how to make a change.

I have never had such a bad experience with a travel booking ever, - they have even stopped responding to my emails requesting a reversal of the additional bookings that occurred while I thought I was "making a change"

This experience has actually made me question myself as to whether I really want to travel to Germany, and I think this will be the first and last.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,958 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: DB Bahn - Do Not recommend Booking on their website

I booked 6 weeks worth of travel in Germany via the Bahn website and cannot fault them. I spent a good bit of time getting the hang of the site before actually making my purchases but I found it clear, easy and reliable. I would certainly recommend it to others

Family_o_fun .. please don;t let this one bad experience taint your visit before you have even stepped off the plane .. Germany is a wonderul country

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,931 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: DB Bahn - Do Not recommend Booking on their website

That's ridiculous. Where else are you goint to buy your tickets? They have the monopoly, so there's no other option.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,141 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: DB Bahn - Do Not recommend Booking on their website

I have been using the website for years without any trouble at all.

Before booking, you need to know where you are heading to - your fault, not DB's

If this experience keeps you away from Germany: fine, you will only be moaning anyway because things are different from Canada.

Edited: 10 May 2013, 09:03
Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: DB Bahn - Do Not recommend Booking on their website

You can get your money back, but there is a €15 charge - it says it clearly on the initial booking page.

Unfortunately you are not covered by the EU 'cooling-off' period which would apply if you were booking from the UK, for example.

UK
Level Contributor
6,122 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: DB Bahn - Do Not recommend Booking on their website

We all accept that if we book a non-changeable/non-refundable airline ticket, or a "no refunds" prepaid hotel package, then "no changes" means just that. NO CHANGES.

Why do you expect to be able to change non-changeable train tickets?

The rules are there, they are clearly explained. You didn't read them as carefully as you should have done (and this is probably something we're all guilty of a lot of the time). The error was yours, not theirs. Learn from it, and move on.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,762 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: DB Bahn - Do Not recommend Booking on their website

Dont you know, Aviatrix? If you are a tourist and bring in "tourist dollars" rules dont apply to you.

Edited: 10 May 2013, 10:33
Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,141 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: DB Bahn - Do Not recommend Booking on their website

Do we depend on "tourist dollars"? No, we don't! :o)))

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,762 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: DB Bahn - Do Not recommend Booking on their website

I met people too often who believe every place they go to depends on the "tourist dollars"...

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,141 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: DB Bahn - Do Not recommend Booking on their website

So did I, Altamiro.

I detest this "I don't care about your rules and costums, I have dollars!" attitude.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: DB Bahn - Do Not recommend Booking on their website

We will be travelling to Germany in 2 weeks' time and will be "testing" the German rail service, as we are doing most of our travel inside Germany by rail. I found the DB Bahn website quite easy to use and convenient. The rules are there to be read and applied. And as for our tourist dollars - we are looking forward to spending them, with no conditions or strings attached. Enjoy your time in Germany F_o_F, I am sure that we will.