We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Still good after 3 years?

Monterey, California
3 posts
Save Topic
Still good after 3 years?

Hello -

I have a phone with a sim card from when I was in Germany in 2010. I'm going to be there again for two months this summer. How can I find out if my handy # is still good and if the credit will still be available to me -- it's around 20 euro, which is enough for the first few days I'm there.

Thanks!

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
526 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Still good after 3 years?

Many prepaid sim cards get deactivated when they aren't used. It depends on the provider. Here is a list in German, but maybe you can figure out what it means. ("unbegrenzt" means that it's not deactivated) prepaid-sparer.de/prepaid-gueltigkeit.html Otherwise, tell us the provider of that card and maybe we can help. They say in the list that the provider is obliged to reimburse the credit, even if the card is deactivated, but that could be too much hassle for you.

Monterey, California
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Still good after 3 years?

Hi - that's what I was looking for.

I'd gone on Vodafone's site but it doesn't mention the prepaid phones. Unbegrenzt means that there is no limit, so I'm hopeful. It's less about the actual amount of credit, and the phone I put the sim card into is kind of old school, but the number is a good one and all of my contacts know it. So it would be nice not to have to re-educate everyone! If i have to buy a new sim, it comes with a different number.

Appreciate the link!

Leipzig, Germany
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Still good after 3 years?

In most cases, when you have to get a new sim card, you have the chance to keep the old number. If you reall yhave to get a new one, ask them about keeping your number.

4. Re: Still good after 3 years?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2014, 07:18