We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train saver tickets

KCH
Sydney
Level Contributor
967 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Train saver tickets

Hi everyone,

Visiting Germany in early September. Just wondering what train tickets I should book ahead.

I am planning to do a few day trips from Munich (Regensburg or Bamberg - can't decide... help!), Fussen/Neuschwanstein and Salzburg. Are there saver tickets available for these short trips? (Bayernticket for Salzburg there is none right?)

Then CNL to Berlin - I know I should book as far ahead as possible for that one.

Tickets to Potsdam, Lubeck from Berlin - book ahead for saver?

My understanding is local trains you just buy on the day - but the fast ones for these trips are not local trains right?

Many thanks for all feedback.

I honestly don't know how people plan holidays before TA existed

Regards

Kevin

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,844 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Train saver tickets

Regensburg, Bamberg, Füssen/Neuschwanstein, Salzburg are all places you can reach on a Bayern Ticket (Bavaria Ticket).

bahn.de/i/…bavaria-ticket.shtml

You buy this ticket best on spot. No advantage of buying in advance. As the ticket comes with no change, no refund rather some risks doing so.

CNL to Berlin: indeed buy in advance

to Potsdam: is in the local public transport zone Berlin C. Thus you just need to buy tickets for Berlin ABC.

http://www.bvg.de/index.php/en/17102/name/Tickets+%26+Fares.html

to Lübeck: buy in advance

KCH
Sydney
Level Contributor
967 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train saver tickets

Thanks - exactly the answer I am after! :)

I just check the condition for the Bayern Ticket

"The ticket is valid Monday through Friday for one day of your choice from 9 am until 3 am on the following day or for an entire day on Saturday, Sunday and on Bavaria-wide public holidays as well as on August 15 (Assumption) from midnight until 3 am on the following day."

Looks like if I planned to stay overnight in any of these places then it's no good?

Edited: 19 May 2013, 13:26
Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
3,251 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train saver tickets

If you stay overnight, just buy another ticket for the next day. Bavaria is beautiful so frankly you can't go wrong. The great thing about the Bayern ticket is that you can go somewhere, look around, and then continue that same day to somewhere else that looks interesting, without having to buy another ticket.

Edited: 19 May 2013, 13:39
KCH
Sydney
Level Contributor
967 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train saver tickets

Thanks. The ticket sounds like a very deal indeed.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,844 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Train saver tickets

Even to the closer places you listed (Füssen, Regensburg) Bayern Ticket pays already for 1 person one-way trip.

Bayern Ticket does also cover nearly all other local public transport inside Bavaria. E.g. in Munich the S-Bahn, U-Bahn (metro), trams and buses. And in Füssen the buses to Hohenschwangau where the castles are. And the city buses in Regensburg.

If you want a stopover in Bamberg you can do this on the train route from Munich to Berlin (skipping the night train). You can get discounted specials also for a trip with a stopover as long it is no longer than 48 hours.

DB timetable

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Start: München Hbf

Destination: Berlin Hbf

and add Bamberg as a stopover with the desired duration of the stopover (as hh:mm).

Via (1): Bamberg

You may have to play a bit around with the duration of the stopover until you get the connections shown you like.

KCH
Sydney
Level Contributor
967 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train saver tickets

Thanks I wasn't aware that Bayern Ticket gives you local public transport as well. Sounds like the way to go.

At the moment I am planning to spend 3 days in Munich, and day trips to Salzburg, Fuessen/Neuschwanstein and either Bamberg or Regensburg. Both Bamberg and Regensburg sound terrific. If I do both then I have to give up a day in Munich. I think 2 days in Munich is too short? I am leaning towards Regensburg because it is closer.

I wanted to do the night train because that would save me a day on the train. So that's why I hadn't consider a stopover.

Tough decisions. :(

7. Re: Train saver tickets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2014, 06:16