We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Week in Germany! Best Sights/Activities/Food?

Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Week in Germany! Best Sights/Activities/Food?

Hello there! My parents are going on a trip to Europe this summer and will be spending a week in Germany the 2nd week in September. They are technologically challenged so I am doing some research into Germany for them and thought I should turn to some experts. They really want to be adventurous and sight see (castles, WWII sights, etc.). They don't drink beer, so no need to suggest anything for that. What are some of your suggestions for things to do? Anything is helpful.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
232 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Week in Germany! Best Sights/Activities/Food?

what town are they interested in? The Rhine Area has a lot of castles , with that said all over Germany are Castles, there is also a lot of WWII things, like Dachau Concentration camp outside of Munich, they could visit Munich there are castles as well. Berlin has some WWII things to look at and they also have a Castle

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,927 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Week in Germany! Best Sights/Activities/Food?

WW2 things... have you considered Nuremberg's Documentation Centre & the Nazi Party Rally grounds

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,540 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Week in Germany! Best Sights/Activities/Food?

For Germany's best food, it's definitely in the German state of Baden-Wuerttemberg which has a quarter of Germany's top restaurants including Michelin-starred ones. The mecca for fine dining in Germany is Baiersbronn ( www.baiersbronn.de ) in the Black Forest. This small town has three Michelin-starred restaurants, one of which is Germany's best (Schwarzwaldstube at Hotel Traube Tonbach, also an excellent hotel), another 3-star one in the top 5, and another one with only one star. Information on this German state can be found at www.tourismus-bw.de , and for the excellent castles, palaces, monasteries and gardens operated by it, at http://www.schloesser-und-gaerten.de/en/ .

For WW-II things, you can't beat the Maginot Line in France just across the Rhine from this German state. There are several fortifications that are in excellent condition that can be visited north of Wissembourg.

The world's largest pumpkin exhibition is in the extensive gardens of Germany's largest perfectly preserved palace in Ludwigsburg (see again http://www.schloesser-und-gaerten.de/en/ ). Almost a half million pumpkins of over 450 types will be on display starting at the end of August and lasting to the first weekend in November ( www.blueba.de only in German). The pumpkins and squash include Europe's largest; there are large themed sculptures made from them; and also food and drink (champagne). Coupled with an English language tour of the palace (the longest and best palace tours that I've been on in Europe) and a visit to the adjoining fairytale garden, it makes for an unbelievably enjoyable interesting fun day.

For other things to see and do in this area, have a look at what I wrote in #1 of tripadvisor.com/…46656711 .

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,261 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Week in Germany! Best Sights/Activities/Food?

"They really want to be adventurous and sight see (castles, WWII sights, etc.)"

Lots of 800-1,000-year-old castles in the Rhine and Mosel River valleys...

Marksburg Castle in Braubach: www.marksburg.de

Burg Eltz Castle near Cochem: www.burg-eltz.de

Reichsburg Castle in Cochem: http://www.reichsburg-cochem.de/

Rheinfels Castle in St. Goar: www.st-goar.de/17-1-rheinfels-castle.html

WW II sights figure prominently in the area as well:

www.bruecke-remagen.de

www.westwallmuseum-irrel.de/index_en.html

…wikipedia.org/wiki/Hinzert_concentration_ca…

The Middle Rhine Valley is a UNESCO World Heritage site and known for its attractive old-world villages:

www.welterbe-mittelrheintal.de/index.php…

Certain Mosel River villages are similarly fetching:

Cochem: flyhahn.com/cities/cochem-travel-guide.htm

Bernkastel: tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g198633-Bernkastel_K…

Trier, Germany's oldest city, is full of history and interesting sights: http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/367/gallery/

Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Week in Germany! Best Sights/Activities/Food?

Thank you all for your responses! I will relay the info to my parents. My mom will be very excited!

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Week in Germany! Best Sights/Activities/Food?

Hi BSauer,

One question I have is where in their European tour does the week in Germany fit? In other words, from where will they be entering Germany, and where will they continue on to after Germany?

If they're starting in Copenhagen before Germany and then going to London after, it may make sense to suggest things in northern Germany rather than have them try to go all the way to the Black Forest.

Conversely, if they're arriving from Venice and continuing on to Vienna, then maybe Bavaria is just perfect for them.

Thanks,

Zed

Edited: 28 May 2013, 09:01
7. Re: Week in Germany! Best Sights/Activities/Food?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2014, 07:17