We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do we need to book accommodation?

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Do we need to book accommodation?

My husband and I are planning a 2 week trip to Germany in August. We are getting the tunnel and driving to cologne. We then want to spend the time travelling round southern Germany..no specific places/plans. We are also hoping to get over to Brno in Czech Republic to see the Motogp.

Do we need to book accommodation in advance or will there be places available? We are planning to take camping equipment but my husband would prefer B&B or hotels. I would like the freedom to decide accommodation as we go along but we don't want to get stuck!!

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Do we need to book accommodation?

You will most likely find some place (emphasis on "some") to stay in or near the places you want to visit, but you will probably have to start to search early in the afternoon by going to the local tourist information office in the place you want to stay. The tourists offices usually have lists of private homes that will rent out rooms. (They are usually marked by some - often home-made- sign "Zimmer Frei".) Some of the offices will call ahead for you, others will give just addresses and directions. Kmowing some German will help. But you won't have any idea what the places will be like until you see them. Usually, the tourist bureasu also have lists of local hotels and Pensionen (that's the plural for Pension. sort of a B&B).

If you can get hold of a Red Guide Michelin for Germany, you will find the addresses and phone numbers for many tourist offices, some in really small places. It need not even be a a current edition of the Guide; the addresses of these tourist offices rarely ever change.

Edited: 28 May 2013, 00:50
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do we need to book accommodation?

Thanks, will have a look for the guide you've mentioned. Are campsites likely to be fully booked or should we be ok to find one if the accommodation choices are limited?

Leipzig, Germany
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Do we need to book accommodation?

The campsites are probably not going to be fully booked. They will, however, be harder to find than B&Bs I'd say.

4. Re: Do we need to book accommodation?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2014, 06:17