We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

taking controlled medication into Germany

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Topic
taking controlled medication into Germany

Hello

I've been trying to find consistent information on this topic, so I thought I'd ask if anyone had current reliable knowledge. I have seen similar questions from recent years, but I don't know what might have changed.

My son has been diagnosed with a condition that will require treatment with methylphenidate, which is a schedule 2 controlled drug in the UK. As we are travelling to Munich for two weeks this summer, we will need to take the medication with us. However, German Customs have provided two apparently conflicting pieces of information by email and website. 1: we cannot take controlled prescription drugs into Germany because we are not residents of a Schengen country. 2: Visitors (no mention of country of origin) are able to bring into Germany controlled medication for their own medical use. A medical certificate is required.

So my question is can my son (aged 7) bring his medicine to Germany with him? If so how is this done? I find it hard to believe (though not impossible) that people who have medical problems cannot visit Germany because they need medication, so knowledgeable clarification would be gratefully welcomed.

Best wishes

James

Boppard, Germany
Destination Expert
for Boppard
Level Contributor
1,736 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: taking controlled medication into Germany

I am not an expert, but this is what German customs have to say (use Google translate):

zoll.de/DE/Privatpersonen/Reisen/Reisen-inne…

Methyplphenidate is indeed on a list of narcotic drugs, so you would need a detailed medical certificate that has been authenticated by the relevant government institution.

Remember there is generally no customs inspection when coming from another EU country.

Edited: 07 June 2013, 07:51
Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,141 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: taking controlled medication into Germany

You can take it with you. Take your doctors prescription with you, that's what I do when travelling with my son. He's got to take that stuff, too. It's no problem as long as you dont have more medicine with you than you need for personal use.

No worries!

3. Re: taking controlled medication into Germany

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 June 2014, 05:16